Buying a Kitchen

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Jonnyb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Buying a Kitchen

Postby Jonnyb » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi Guys, I am coming to Santa Margarita in a few weeks and i need to install a new kitchen, Is there a Store ( Like B&Q) that sell kitchens where i can pick it up there and then in my van and install it my self? I did have a few quotes from a few kitchen fitters but they were trying to mug me off!!

Cheers

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:28 pm

Leroy Merlin.
Or your local Spanish DIY type shop will make one to your requirements, usually reasonably priced.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Cliffs Dad
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cliffs Dad » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:41 pm

yeah both are good. I always found the local shop very helpful and cheap.
is the bar open yet?!!

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:29 am

Stating the obvious, but what about IKEA?! Ours came across in a van from the Croyden branch and was self-installed on site, before the days of ikea in Spain. Have had expensive kitchens before, but I have to say, the ikeas ones are exactly the same carcases, the drawer mechanisms are good and they now do some nice solid wood doors as well and you could even get a nice stone worktop from a local supplier if you wanted something a bit more swish :)

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:14 am

Hi again Jonnyb.

I would advise you to stay away from bricolage cruz up near carrefour.
My kitchen cost a fortune,ordered it,got some english guys to fit it,sections were missing,handles missing,re ordering certain parts etc...took 6 months in the end.No fault of my joiners. :cry:

Leroy Merlin (is like B&Q)has kitchens as do a few other places in Los Barrios ,i dont know what they are like.I suppose you get what you pay for,quality wise.

Castro Kitchens are excellent on the Zabal trading est(just on the main road in front of your house)they are quite expensive,You can order the kitchen,you dont have to get them to fit it for you.

There are quite a few kitchen places on the zabal est..
If you are off to IKEA,you can get all your beds and furniture there at the same time.
Me personally,i would stick to somewhere local,that way if you have a problem,its just a case of quickly nipping back.You dont want to be trecking up to Malaga IKEA to sort a missing handle out,or a chipped door.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:18 am

I was wondering when Ikea was going to be mentioned, a good mate here in darkest Cheshire wanted to do a new Kitchen, and went to MFI as you do, he was quoted five figures for his (and her) requirements. Having raised himself from the floor where he had collapsed and left the store they went to Ikea, bought what they wanted for under a third of the price and he has now fitted it. It looks good, and some of the little design details are wonderful, it's well worth a long look. (no Swedish Connection)