wood burning stove

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
patchdog
Resident

wood burning stove

Postby patchdog » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:48 pm

Im going to buy a wood burning stove from Bronpi ¿lucena?, probably. Probably going to buy the ASTORGA, anyone any views on this.

geegee
Resident

Re: wood burning stove

Postby geegee » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:52 pm

Quite a few threads on wood burning stoves on this forum including me waxing lyrical about the franco belge I bought from the same store in Lucena. Brompi and good and reliable. I don't know this brand your mention but what I would say is that make sure its of good quality and big enough to take 50cm logs as this is usually the smallest size you can get delivered. It really is not worth skimping on this purchase!!

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:12 pm

We have got an ancient Jotul wood burning stove. So old, in fact, that it is a collectors item. It is still superb, however, so I can't help thinking that if the new models are as good they have got to be worth considering. We actually bought ours from a 2nd hand shop in Bournemouth and were told it had come from a local church. I would love to know where it had been before then.
Life is 'ard den you die!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:01 pm

geegee wrote:and big enough to take 50cm logs as this is usually the smallest size you can get delivered.

where you getting your logs from ?? theres a place down the road, sells a m3 for 75€ and they are all about the size or your forearm, max 25cm.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:37 pm

We pay that on the coast and it is all olive...just what we want and dry :D

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:58 am

Thats quite expensive, presumably because you are paying to get them smaller...we get a large trailer full, I would estimate is around 3m3, for around that price - so it pays to have a bigger woodburner!

dawn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby dawn » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:33 pm

We have just had a wood burning chimenea and fireplace installed by Bronpi, Granada, and although we found the installation quoted to be on the expensive side, have nothing but praise for workmanship and quality, and would certainly recommend them.
They kept us up to date prior to installation via telephone, had a visit from a surveyor, install team arrived spot on time, completed the job in one day, tidied away after themselves, and as they did not have to use all materials quoted for, actually credited us with the difference.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:34 pm

Slightly going off the point BUT:

Our lovely wood burning stove is now in use and we are having unexpected problems. The stove is great and heats the whole of the downstairs and warms the upstairs. The stove is in the centre of the house so the pipe goes out the back of the stove, through a wall, up the side of that wall, along the ceiling to the other side of the room, through the ceiling to go straight up the upstairs salon wall to go out through to the roof. It's a lot of pipe and three right angle bends all with inspection/cleaning hatches. So, what's the problem?

The upstairs salon pipe which is straight and 3.5 metres long is made of lengths. Each length fits inside the one above it. The fitters did it this way to ensure the smoke goes up and out. However, we are getting condensation of a tar substance building up inside the pipe and coming down the pipe to leak out where the upper length part joins over the lower length part. We have three joins in this long straight pipe and the result is, quite frankly, a mess.

Are the pipes connected the wrong way around? Would one pipe length without joins stop this problem? Would a double layer (double skin) pipe solve the problem? Apparently this condensation thing is common. Wish we had known this earlier but what do we do now? Any help or advice is welcome as we are thinking of having the whole lot taken out and reinstalled anyway.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:14 pm

We have the same problem Lavanda, so would also be interested in the answer (if there is one !)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:34 pm

Stove pipes should be fitted such that the male end is pointing down, fitting inside the female end which is uppermost.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:53 pm

Thanks, Hillybilly. This is what my husband has been saying but the Spanish fitters didn't want to do it that way. Looks like it will all have to come out and be redone!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:28 pm

The most common reason for the fitters putting in the pipes upside down is that they haven't got the correct short connecting piece to fit to the back/top of the stove itself and so they just stick the female end over this and go up from there, hoping that nobody will notice. I snagged a new development in Iznajar earlier this year where they had done this with about 40 stoves...

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:49 am

Yes. That makes sense as we were just talking about what happens at the stove end to start the pipes off correctly. A connecting piece. How simple. Thanks, again.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:02 am

thanks from me too hilly !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:11 pm

Lavanda, your description of the route of the flue through your house is worrying as appear to pose a fire risk.

Right angle bends should never be used neither should horizontal lengths of pipe.

Take a look at the building regs in the UK or get more info from these sites.

http://www.firesonline.co.uk/acatalog/S ... egulations.

htmlhttp://greymetal.co.uk/installation.php
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:22 pm

hillybilly wrote:... such that the male end is pointing down, fitting inside the female end which is uppermost.
Yes, I find that the best way. :D
Let's go Brandon!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:32 pm

Beachcomber wrote:
hillybilly wrote:... such that the male end is pointing down, fitting inside the female end which is uppermost.
Yes, I find that the best way. :D
Cheeky! :lol:

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:04 pm

Thats the best way to keep warm, beechcomber

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:54 pm

hillybilly wrote:Stove pipes should be fitted such that the male end is pointing down, fitting inside the female end which is uppermost.
Out of interest Hilly why is that? For better sealing maybe? I fitted ours last year and can't remember how I fitted them........4 x 1 metre lengths.

The reason I ask is that a car exhaust is piped up the opposite i.e. male end pointing away from heat/gas source with no leaks etc.

The other thing with piping it in the correct method is that it would allow water ingress into the joints if rain were to get in.

Be interested to hear the reasoning for that one and I'm now intrighued to get back to see how I've done ours.

Thanks,
DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:16 pm

Because if you install them the other way up, in the vertical sections the liquid tar produced when the pipes get hot will exude prettily out of all the joints. Ideally, you shouldn't have any joints on an external section, in practice of course, you will, but the joints (when installed the right way round) will virtually self-seal and so there shouldn't be a problem with water ingress. You can buy a sealant for the joints but this shouldn't be necessary. Don't know a great deal about vehicle exhausts but they are generally horizontal and not conducting liquids!