False ceiling

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
mhic
Andalucia Guru

False ceiling

Postby mhic » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:14 am

We have a village townhouse with approx 120sq metres of garage /storage space on the ground floor and living accomodation on the first floor. The ceiling in the garage at present is just brick slips and I'm wondering if there is a way of putting a false ceiling up and packing the gap with insulation which will hopefully keep the living area above a bit warmer. Has anyone tried doing this and are the materials needed available? Also any ideas on how to go about it would be welcome.

Mhic

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: False ceiling

Postby country boy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:46 am

For cheapness you could just 'dob' 2 inch polystyrene sheets on , hold them up with flex battens while the goo sets. (Not a spirit based goo by the way). I would think that although that is inflamable the concrete above would provided sufficient fire protection. One for you Hilly :?:

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:57 pm

You could have it sprayed with polyurethane foam. Or if the bricks are firm enough you could screw wooden battens to them and fill in between them with polyurethane sheet and then nail on plasterboard to the battens. If the bricks will not make a firm enough anchor you could put joist hangers on the wall and span it with small joists with polyurethane in between.
Grouser

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:05 pm

I have just put a false ceiling in my 8x4m extension using just 50x40mm cuprinised batons and 3x1.2m 0.98cm Plasterboard. The battons screwed to the wall at 600mm intervals and the spans, each 4m, spragged every 600 mm - just like a partition wall, but for a ceiling - jobs a good un !
Tape and fill the seams - nice finish - even put up proper plaster coving !

On top of that is 4" of glass wool insulation - just that its a bit expensive out here - 100E
I havent found it cheaper anywhere else

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:32 pm

I thought of both sticking polystyrene direct onto the ceiling and fixing batons up. we do have concrete joists which we could fix batons to be dearer but probably more efficient and I could get the idiot son over to fix the board and skim it. Now, what would be best sheet polystyrene or glass wool and would it make that much difference? The other half moans about being cold but don't want to spend money, well not on practical things anyway.

Mhic.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Fixing upwards...go for the Styrene. Both cheaper and easier; and less likely to harbour critters :shock:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:20 pm

Have you addressed all the other means of heat loss first?
Typically 35% is lost through the walls, 25% through the roof, 25% through the doors and windows and only 15% through the floor.
You may feel more benefit simply by using rugs in the winter and spending money on roof insulation, draughtproofing etc.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:07 pm

I bought polystyrene tiles in Aki and glued them to the ceiling. What a waste of time. Not a whit of difference.
Dave

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:08 pm

Stupidly, I got aluminium single-glazed windows without a thermal break. Every morning the water streams down like a fishmonger's window.
Dave

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks all.

I think I'll dodge the false ceiling if what Mowser says is correct it will be a waste of money.
Planning to get double glazing once the weather warms up,did get quotes some time ago but my financial adviser thought the money would buy a lot of logs. Why do I listen to her? Don't know how I could insulate the walls Hillybilly and we don't have access to the roof space. I'll ask my son I'm sure if there is a way he'll know.

Can anyone recommend a double glazing firm in the Velez Malaga area?

Mhic.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:37 am

If you only have single brick walls and no air cavity then you can put a plasterboard wall inside - you only need to leave about 10cm to make a difference as Pladur is more insulating than brick and you fill the gap with cheap polystyrene boards.....it worked for us where we had cold damp coming in and there is a huge difference between that wall and others......its also not expensive or that messy to do. If you have water pipes along that wall then keep the pladur a little above the floor level (as you will have rodapie along there anyway) and then any water leaks will not be sucked up by the plasterboard. It will still make a difference if you only do it on the coldest walls and not those with windows for aesthetics (or else you need to re-install the window)

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:52 pm

If you can get it polyurethane is a better insulation cm for cm than polystyrene
Grouser

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:10 pm

What´s the difference - is it white and like an old swimming lesson float?

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:21 pm

Jool wrote:What´s the difference - is it white and like an old swimming lesson float?
Now that's what I call damp!!! :D
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:36 pm

JAKE M wrote:
Jool wrote:What´s the difference - is it white and like an old swimming lesson float?
Now that's what I call damp!!! :D
Hey bro'. Get back to work!
Dave