log burner Vs. Open fire

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
janda_grant2
Resident

Re: log burner Vs. Open fire

Postby janda_grant2 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:39 pm

We currently have an open fire which is not very efficient, and want to install a log burner. Question, we have a corner fire place with a chimney, do we need to put a liner in the chimney. or can we find a fire and feed the 'flue' pipe thingy (I'm not very technical and OH who would know all the terminology is out) up the existing chimney or is there another way to do it that does not involve demolishing the house? Also, am I right in thinking that a 'free standing' fire ie not fitted into the fireplace opening is better? Just as an aside (and another option) would putting door on the ope fire improve it any?
I can spell but I can't type

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:13 pm

Jane, have a look at the Leroy Merlin website and go to their online guia for installing and choosing chimeneas, there is a lot of useful written and pictorial info there, inc for utilising existing fireplaces.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:33 am

Janda,
The "flue pipe thingy" has been installed in our fireplace, inserted up through the chimney. I am not very technical either :D .
The previous builder Spanish owner had an open fire with hearth etc and had decided to replace with a log burner. The fire is free standing and sits in front of the hearth and the flue goes up a bend then into a straight flue up the chimney - it works fine.

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:50 pm

Hopefully the spanish police don't have quite the same extreme attitudes towards log burners as the wild West Yorkshire police here:
Police raided a property after heat-seeking cameras identified a suspected cannabis factory – only to discover nothing more sinister than a wood-burning stove.