Builders Register

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:57 pm

Does anyone know the Spanish for 'non-return valve'?

Miggy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Miggy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:02 pm

válvula sin retorno :wink:

giddy
Tourist

Re: Building and DIY translations

Postby giddy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:52 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:Good little list for basic DIY and building terms a friend passed to us a while back...........it's helped us at the ferriterias on a few occasions.

Kenny

http://www.spanishstuff.co.uk/language.htm

hi kenny,maybe you could give me a bit of advice about rogue british traders,ie;builders,plumbers,electricians.ect...
like most of us that come to spain with our hard earned savings in our hands,to buy the dream home in the sun,then end up falling prey to the schemers that rip you off at every turn.we let them into our homes and listen to their well rehersed banter,then before you know it youve got a half finished job and either a big chunk missing from the retirement fund or threats of denuncia or violence for not paying for such shoddy work!!

is there a register of master craftsman/traders in spain?

do these people have to show proof of qualifications?(it seems most of the british traders leave england from working in mcdonalds and when they get here ..!!!)
ill say no more...
are there any official bodies or laws to govern british traders in spain..

many thanks giddy
[/i][/b][/code]

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:54 am

I think you might find that these "builders" are not registered in any way, do not pay taxes, insurance etc. They only accept cash in hand and are working totally illegally.
You could try denouncing them if you can find their names and addresses.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:15 am

Hiya Giddy, sorry I missed your post....anyway better late than never!

As for official bodies re. builders etc. in Spain I'm not really qualified to give a definitive answer on that one.

In the couple of holiday homes we've owned in Spain we've had quite a lot of building work done and have been pleasantly surprised by both the work and the costs............we're having a new terrace done as I type and we're looking forward to seeing it in a couple of weeks.

My approach to hiring labour or services is pretty similar to how I'd do it in the UK..............i.e. reccomendation and word of mouth.
A builder can have every letter after his name you can think of and be affiliated to every orginisation but may still be a shiester..........as too can any service provider, not just builders.

If I'm told of a good builder by someone who's had a successful job done then I would meet the builder..........if I personally liked him and we struck up a relationship he could have the job.

The only other couple of things I adhere to is that I NEVER pay in advance. I always make sure that any money handed over is for work that is completed.
This means that even half way through if things turned sour I'd have my moneys worth to date and be able to chase him without any losses.

The other thing is to keep a close eye on day to day works, if like me you are usually 1500 miles away then a good trusted mate to to relay any possible grief is a godsend and worth a lot.

Sorry I can't give any more legal/technical help but this is how we've controlled things so far and its been great...........touch wood!

Cheers,
Kenny

giddy
Tourist

Postby giddy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:30 pm

many thanks kenny for the advice.
we did everything that you have outlined,references,word of mouth,pre meetings.
we had the savvy to pay only after the scheduled work was complete.
halfway through the work was getting a bit shoddy and all the excuses like (oh that will be finished at the end!!)or(you dont actually need that!!)although it was written in the quote!!
when we witheld money for work not done and complete or not up to standard,was when we started getting pestered and getting threats.written and verbal.
police wont do much appart from wait till something happens.
but as someone else said(thats the joys of employing builders)!!!
i think if people are going to try rip you off,they will try...

BUT,and a big but,if they all had to go through a series of regulated checks and regristrations before being able to trade(similar to KORGI)..
then if there are complaints of unfairness or bad workmanship,it would be dealt with by a profesional body..
they would think very hard about the service they give.
would anyone nowadays even think of having gas installed if the person was unregistered!!!NO...
thats because we cant,the system has been regulated..
twice on the spanish news ive seen buildings blown in half through gas explosions in spain.im sure they didnt just say(hey ho,hope that doesnt happen again...)

im sure the spanish have these reglations,if not an equivelent under EU regulations...
just needs someone with the brains to sort it!!!
not sure if you have read the rest of my ramblings...if youve got time have a look under BUIILDERS ADVICE.
best wishes for easter.

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:42 pm

Anyone got a word for crowbar or should i use the translation of lever

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:28 pm

colij neale wrote:Anyone got a word for crowbar or should i use the translation of lever
una palanca

El Cercardo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby El Cercardo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:34 pm

Another good idea is to take a copy of a "Screwfix" catalogue with you...just show them a picture if you get stuck!! It works wonders... :mrgreen:

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:20 pm

hillybilly wrote:
colij neale wrote:Anyone got a word for crowbar or should i use the translation of lever
una palanca
thenks hilly,it said that on a translation page i use.