olive pip storage

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
metalmonkey
Resident

olive pip storage

Postby metalmonkey » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:31 pm

Hi

i have an olive pip boiler with hopper and a sin fin screw that goes into a storage container...now..... i have to get pips from the mill into the big storage container that has a door on the side. This involves borrowing an elevator from a local mill transporting it by lorry and it's basically costing more to get the pips in than the pips themselves..........does anyone know if there is any other way to get the pips from the lorry into the container someone mentioned a vacum and spit system???...getting desperae now as I need to get another 4 tons soon

cheers
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: olive pip storage

Postby hillybilly » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:33 am

Are the olive pips bagged or loose?
How high do the pips have to be raised to get them in the hopper?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:03 am

Hi metalmonkey,
Might be worth a PM to pentaqua-new as they have mentioned getting 3 tonnes and loading them into a storage area.
I take it with the amount you get that you're running the boiler to heat a pool until the sun can do the job ?
We use ours for central heating only so its on only during the cold months.
Would be interested with the solution you come up with. 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:34 am

Hi need to get them into a doorway 1.5 metres from ground level

cheers

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:52 am

Sounds as if you need a short screw conveyor with a hopper feed. These are often available very cheaply at agricultural auctions/farm sales in UK so I guess there must be similar in Spain. Be careful to check the motor. Many/most will be three phase.
Brian.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:47 pm

1.5m ?
i´d get them in sacks and load it myself ? ok, it might take a couple hours, but what a saving, and you get a free work out.

another thing.. olive pips.. where u get them from ? are they used as fuel in fires? ie: log fires?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi Sl,
I was going to suggest that , as that's what I do at the monent, but alas as the years take their toll :( we all need to find a easier way to move the heavy stuff about.
Another thing is the time factor, if you have plenty of time its not a problem 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Tue May 05, 2009 1:51 pm

Hi

just not possible for me to load them by hand as we need 4 tons every few months. tried the conveyor but not good and the cost of getting a vonveyor from local mill who offered to loan us one and then the slow speed of unloading means that the transport etc was almost as much as the pips BUT we have a solution.... the door on the Tulva is changing from horizontal two door opening to a pull down door. New contact bringing pips in 4 1 ton bags will swing bag over door release the drawstring and that should be it...famous last words.

Actually now regretting haveing the system as the boiler is regularily turning itself off at least once a week, (dust and ash unbelievable when it's being cleaned) and we have to then get a technico out ...swimming pool temp drops and the whole thing costs us a bundle in pips to get everything back up to speed.... boiler only a few months old so still under guarantee but very worrying for the future. This system was sold to us as being automatic...what a laugh.....

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed May 06, 2009 12:40 pm

did you buy from an english person.. or spanish?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Tue May 12, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi bought from a spanish company...have to admit system is actually very effective but getting the pips and maintaining it is a bit of a mare...found dry pips had them delivered to discover that there was lots of bits of gravel in it which could have broken the sin fin on the main boiler...hey ho sent them back on the same lorry and company have promised to 'clean' the pips and return them . If they do I think we may have a solution but we'll see....