Leaking Pipe

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Leaking Pipe

Postby Campo Steve » Mon May 04, 2009 12:16 pm

The pipe from the drain in the bottom of my pool to the pump has developed a leak at a joint. Only minor at the moment, about 4 litres a day, but I am concerned it may get worse. Unfortunately I can't take the joint apart to redo it for 3 reasons:

1 The pipe is plastic and the joint glued. These are virtually impossible to undo without replacing some of the pipe
2 The joint is about 2 feet below the level of the top of the water so I would need to drain a lot of water out. The leak is the wrong side of the stopcock.
3 The leak is right where the pipe comes through the wall into the pump room so almost impossible to get at the pipe to cut it. Outside the pipes have been concreted in by the previous owner.

Question. Is there a product that I can spray on to the wet joint that will instantly set and seal the leak? I have seen stuff in the UK (B&Q) and on the internet in US that claims to do the job, but do they have a similar product in Spain and, if so, what is it called?
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: Leaking Pipe

Postby hillybilly » Mon May 04, 2009 12:45 pm

If you want to actually carry out the repair underwater your choice is going to be limited. There are products that chandlers sell such as http://www.lanautica.com/index.php?main ... s_id=10630
If you are going to drain the pool and carry out the repair in the dry then there are a great deal more products available to you eg tapafugas or aguastop, both made by Ceys.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon May 04, 2009 12:56 pm

If you can find this stuff,or get someone to bring it over ,it's great.
I sealed a leaky bath discharge pipe that was gushing with it and a gutter that was full of water.
http://www.ctecuk.co.uk/

Watch the video

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon May 04, 2009 1:01 pm

Thanks guys. Perhaps I didn't make it clear. The pipe is not underwater but as it is below the level of the top of the water, if I cut the pipe, then gravity will mean water will gush out until it finds its own level.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon May 04, 2009 1:38 pm

Are you able to cap the outlet in the pool itself,
ie,if its in the bottom put a bucket over it,upturned.
if you could do this are you able to cut the pipe and do a proper repair?

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon May 04, 2009 3:36 pm

That's worth a thought. Not sure how to keep the bucket in place as the pump would be off, but there might be a way. I'll have a think about it. Cheers.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon May 04, 2009 3:45 pm

Steve, I know you may think it sounds daft but I've recently repared a broken elbow joint on our pool a metre down under one of skimmers.

What I found blocked all outlets perfectly was one of those blue/orange snake things you buy at the beach shops.....OH calls them foam sausages.

I chopped it into 3 inch pieces and they fitted perfectly into all the outlets as bungs to stop the water escaping, needs a bit of hand strength but once inserted that's that...it worked a dream.

DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon May 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Thanks DA. Could block the skimmers like that but the problem is the pipe from the drain in the bottom of the pool. I'll remember your suggestion though for the future.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon May 04, 2009 7:32 pm

You can get expanding bungs in several different sizes from plumbers merchants. I used them often in the UK, very simple and very good.

Mhic.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed May 06, 2009 12:43 pm

if you are not capable theres a few companies out there with the right equipment 8)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed May 06, 2009 12:53 pm

He'll sort it, it's a doddle. Only hard bit is if you have to break out and dig.......but I delegate that bit to OH anyway 8)
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed May 13, 2009 7:38 pm

Managed a temporary fix. Used Pattex Nural 36 from a ferreteria in Torre del Mar. It's a putty like substance that can be applied in wet conditions. Seems to have stopped the drip for now. At least the pump house is drying out now!

I know it isn't permanent but hopefully it will last the summer. Then I can drain a couple of feet of water out of the pool and do a proper job with a dry pipe.

Thanks for everyone's advice.