tile over wall tiles

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
patchdog
Resident

tile over wall tiles

Postby patchdog » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:00 pm

I am going to tile over wall tiles. Ive looked on the net and some say there isnt a problem others say its dodgy.
The best solution given, I think, was to apply a bonding agent mixed with sand before the tile cement, to give adhesion.
Has anyone tiled over wall tiles effectively
Last edited by patchdog on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pietree
Resident

Re: tile over wall tiles

Postby pietree » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:05 pm

I´ve seen it done successfully, you might try and score the tiles first then use ordinary tile cement, it´s really quite strong stuff
Thats it for now

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:19 pm

I think success largely depends on how well the original tiles are stuck to the wall - if they're a bit dodgy, then the weight of the extra tile will just make the lot fall off (probably with half the plaster :thumbdown: )
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:45 pm

I retiled my bathroom successfully 2 yrs ago over original tiles and have had no problems.

I was recomended a special tile cement for that type of job from the tile shop I bought the tiles from in Archidona.

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:00 pm

freecatsrus wrote:I retiled my bathroom successfully 2 yrs ago over original tiles and have had no problems.

I was recomended a special tile cement for that type of job from the tile shop I bought the tiles from in Archidona.
and the name of the cement was......................................
I know Pegalan is good tile cement.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:39 am

What's wrong with removing the old tiles first and doing a proper job ??
Ah! the full english!!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:51 am

About 8 years ago, I paid a builder friend to tile over tiles in a kitchen. We had to do it this way because the disruption in time and mess taking them all off, was not conducive to the business.
They are still on firmly in place. He used some sort of ready made glue/ gloop, in blue and white plastic buckets as I recall but I am sorry, I cannot recall the name of it and he is no longer in Spain for me to ask for you.
He checked the tiles beneath and they were soundly attached. He didn't score over the top of them.
Not much use to you, I know, but just to let you know it was very successful.

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:11 am

Retro P wrote:What's wrong with removing the old tiles first and doing a proper job ??

The thickness of the walls, the surrounding decor and other stuff stops me from removing old tiles. Not everyone thinks that removing the old tiles is doing a proper job, some say that it would be just adding to the work removing the old tiles. As long as the tiles are stuck firmly in place, old tiles are great to tile over, being such a flat surface. Theres a difference of opinion even amongst professionals, but thanks for your input.
Last edited by patchdog on Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:15 am

Swimming pool tile adhesive should do the job. Most builders merchants sell it, especially if they sell pool tiles as well. I think it comes in 5 and 20kg bags.

But, as stated by others, make sure the original tiles are secure first. Also ensure they are nice and clean i.e. no grease. A CAREFUL wash with Ague Fuerte would do that. Personally I would score the ol tiles, possibly with an angle grinder, to give better adhesion, and dig out as much of the old grout as possible
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:42 am

I was in the same situation as anis and patchdog, not practical to remove old ones.

Found receipt for tiles, SACO BEYEM FLEX ( SOBRE AZ ) it cost 18.89 for 25 Kgs at the time.

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks for replies guys.

pietree
Resident

Postby pietree » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:26 pm

patchdog wrote:
Retro P wrote:What's wrong with removing the old tiles first and doing a proper job ??

The thickness of the walls, the surrounding decor and other stuff stops me from removing old tiles. Not everyone thinks that removing the old tiles is doing a proper job, some say that it would be just adding to the work removing the old tiles. As long as the tiles are stuck firmly in place, old tiles are great to tile over, being such a flat surface. Theres a difference of opinion even amongst professionals, but thanks for your input.
The Spanish builders near me do it all the time too, go for it
Thats it for now