Do I need permission to build a concrete retaining wall.

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
teralin
Resident

Do I need permission to build a concrete retaining wall.

Postby teralin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:20 am

I need to build a concrete retaining wall (15mx2m)to solve a landslip problem that seems to recur every year. I want to know whether I need permission to build this or can I just go ahead. I have asked a few people and the general understanding is that since I am not adding to my property, then I don't need to involve the townhall. Things are a bit sensitive in my area at the moment and the townhall has embargoed all construction of houses, garages, outhouses etc in preparation for the submission of their local plan to the Junta. They have been actively going round the campo taking photos of existing structures in order to have a complete and accurate picture of what exists in their area.

So in the midst of all this, I would love have a definitive answer to the question of permission without having to ask the townhall themselves who are unhelpful at the best of times. Does anyone have any experience of this?

fincalospinos
Resident

Re: Do I need permission to build a concrete retaining wall.

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:57 am

The only "definitive" answer, is go and ask at your town hall !
Hardworking resident !!

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:07 pm

Not very helpful. Anyone with any experience of retaining walls/permissions. There seems to be some exceptions for retaining walls.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:26 pm

We built a low-ish wall (about 1.5m) as a flood defence. Nothing was said by the builders about needing a licence. When we wanted to put up a fence (2m) they said we would need a licence.

Not exactly conclusive, but.... :)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:58 pm

I built a retaining wall, 1.6m high, at the back of my house to prevent further landslips. I showed the Town Hall a photograph of the initial slip and my propsals to prevent it happening again and they allowed it without an application being made.

It is not seen from anywhere other than the back of the house.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:07 pm

I know you are not me, but I would just get on with it, quietly...

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:14 pm

No permission needed for gabions.

Dave

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:18 pm

Interesting discussion as I want to build some 1 metre high retaining walls.
That is why I'm applying for a minor works licence.
See topic below this one.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:02 pm

Thanks all for your input. I wil probably go ahead and risk it and hope for the best.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Plonker ! - Its exactly this attitude that winds the town halls up and has helped bring about the tightening up of building permissions for everybody.

When will people learn ??
Hardworking resident !!

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Los Pinos, you sound like a child. Go back to school and learn how to express yourself without resorting to insults and let the adults conduct a sensible forum.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:45 pm

I believe the 'general rule' is that you do not need a licence for construction of any support wall of less than 2m height PROVIDED that it does NOT project above ground level on the retained side.

Your town hall planning department will confirm this (or not) if you just ask them - You can do so without commitment ! But, it is worth getting a name of the person AFTER they have told you !

I have personal experience of being told three diferent answers from 3 diferent people in the town hall since what they dont know they tend to make up ! In the end I took the details of the individual that gave me answer I wanted.

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Martin, that would concur with what I have been told locally. I think that we must share the same townhall because the staff here do exacatly the same thing. It depends on who you ask as to the answer you receive. My wall would appear to fall into the category you described so I shouldn't be treading on anyone's toes.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:58 pm

teralin wrote:Los Pinos, you sound like a child. Go back to school and learn how to express yourself without resorting to insults and let the adults conduct a sensible forum.
In my first reply to your post I gave you clear, concise and accurate advise.
Neither I nor anyone else on AC.com are in a position to give you a definite answer as to whether or not you would be granted permission for your wall, this can only come from the Town Hall.
Your reply to this was “ Not at all helpful”.

What answer are you looking for ? Are you hoping that all replies will tell you to go ahead and build without impunity ?
You can then tell the Town hall arquitect, when he calls to find out whats going on, that all is in order, you have permission from the forum on AC.com.

There is another thread below this one where a similar discussion is going on, and I suggest you take a look at some of the advice.

If you do still go ahead without following the proper procedure, then, at risk of being called a child again, will stick by my initial opinion that you are indeed a “plonker”.
Hardworking resident !!

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:15 pm

There’s a barranco adjacent to my house, it’s never been a problem until this year, when floodwater washed about a metre of the bank away, on my side. :thumbdown: I saw the local policeman (who, in our area, deals with planning issues) in our village one day and asked him about building a retaining wall, and he said that I’d need to get permission, but it would only be a formality, as it wouldn’t be refused. :clap:

gretch

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:59 pm

In support of Fincaslospalinos and as a general guideline, anyone who builds anything bigger than a rabbit hutch these days is only begging for trouble, a plonker as Fincas would have it and quite righ he is, we are all (or those of us who have a minumim itelligence quotient) are aware that 2, 3, 5 and even 10 years ago one could buy a "legalised plot" with all the right stamps, bells and whistles and all the **** that goes with it, only to be told very recently sorry you have to demolish it, yessir go right ahead and build, then next year when you've been fined and your wall knocked down don't come whingeing :eh: :eh:
Ah! the full english!!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:09 pm

Hey Retro. I'm about to do a denuncia on yer rabbit hutch.
:wave:
Dave

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:59 pm

We did a retaining wall over 10 years ago and had to get permission from the town hall but as it was to protect the land and prevent landslip and we had spoken to our neighbours who were in favour and co-supervised the line of the retaining wall we had no problem whatsoever.

Present the need for a retaining wall to your town Hall as a repair job to prevent a land slip disaster....embellish the potential consequences and if they are unsure ask if they will sign something to accept liability on your behalf as you do not want to build anything as such it is merely land management to enhance safety of all residents, your family and your neighbour´s families as well.....

now is NOT the time to rattle the town Hall as they will already be rattled by the Junta and you could be made an example of how stringent they are in "their" area....

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:03 am

Which town hall is it that you are referring to having a problem with?