Smoke alarms?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Smoke alarms?

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:01 pm

Son has been staying and was horrified we did not have our smoke alarms up. A colleague of his had been called to a house fire, the lady died through smoke inhalation. We put our alarms up this morning. We had bought the alarms back in the UK. We have not seen smoke alarms here. Has anyone here managed to buy them in Spain?

annfoto
Resident

Re: Smoke alarms?

Postby annfoto » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:08 pm

Leyroy Merlin has them but they are about twice the price of B&Q
Ann

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:16 pm

I paid about £5 each I think. We were in Leroy Merlin yesterday, didn't think to look then. Our Spanish neighbour was facinated by them!

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:43 pm

A carbon monoxide alarm is equally important, especially in homes that have wood burning fires or Stoves. Carbon monoxide poisoning is known as ‘the silent killer’ and unfortunately, not many people are aware of the dangers of it.
Google ‘carbon monoxide poisoning’ for more information.

gretch

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:13 pm

We have a carbon monoxide alarm to put up too, just got to find it, its in a safe place, and too hot to hunt in the garage at the moment! We always leave livingroom and kitcgen windows open a little when we have the log burner going or the gas heater on.
Our log burner had a chimney that had a bend in it, we changed it as the fire was smoking badly. We put in a straight chimney, we were horrified to find the bend in the chimney was totally full of 'soot' Lucky we were not killed by carbon monoxide poisoning! Now we sweep the chimney before the fire gets used for the winter and use the 'cleaning sachets on the fire.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:22 pm

You should also have a ventilator near floor level next to the stove to allow fresh oxygen to enter the room.
Ann

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Here in UK we phoned the fire brigade,as they do free house checks. Big red fire engine pulls up outside, two big firemen come in and check the house out. The smoke alarm we have they reckon might be a bit old, so fit a new one with 10 year battery. You really should have one downstairs as well, do you want one there? Yes please, so they fit another one. Any extension sockets being used in the house? Yes, two. Ok, bar plugs are safer, and they give us two of those. Then follows a safety lecture, what to do in the event of a fire, then they're off! Thanks! What nice men! :thumbup:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:41 pm

Is it free for everyone? We have alarms in most rooms but not sure if they work, they were in when we bought it. One in the kitchen works a bit too well, even for well done toast! Would they check what you have?

One place I would have one in Spain is close to the electricity meter. I personally know 3 people who had their meter burst into flames.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:39 pm

I fitted mine this summer...bought in Bricorama near san pedro / estepona. €5 ish and included a battery. I was surprised Carrefour did not sell them in the hardware section.