Mains water supply pipe

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Parilla
Resident

Mains water supply pipe

Postby Parilla » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:47 am

I am trying to find a key for the stop-*beep* valve on the mains water supply to our apartment. I can't find one at Leroy Merlin or local ironmongers, so can anyone tell me if they know of a plumbers merchant type of business on the coast, or anywhere else that I might find one. Nearer to San Pedro is best but I am really desperate enough to travel anywhere.
Parilla

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mains water supply pipe

Postby gerryh » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:54 am

I haven't seen any stop *beep* valves that need a key. All the ones I have seen have a handle on them.
Has someone removed the handle?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:26 pm

I assume you mean a key to get into the box that houses the stop *beep*, and not the stop *beep* itself. This is usually a triangular headed bolt. A fine pair of pliers normally suffices.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:51 pm

I also used to use pincers to open thedoor and then a spanner to turn off the water before I got it fixed, if it is the actual water you want to turn off, mine was justa ahalf turn, so if you just turned it a small way which I didn't know at first, all fixed now though :)
We got the key for the door with the new door my hubby fitted, if the water reader man didn't keep leaving it open it would break off with the wind, put a plastic one on now, that will sadden him :lol:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks for your replies. It's not a cabinet housing the valve, it's actually the stop-*beep* itself where the mains supply comes into the apartment in the kitchen. The supply pipe is hidden in the wall, and the stop-*beep* protrudes through the wall with a chrome plated disc which screws onto it presumeably for cosmetic reasons to cover where it sticks through the tiles. Part of this chrome disc unscrews to give access to the valve mechanism. There is a protruding nut about 7 or 8 mm square which must be the thing to turn in order to rotate the ballvalve on and off, and I am trying find something to fit this. A spanner or pliers won't work as there is insufficient space to get them onto the nut. Because of this tight space, the only thing I think would fit would be something like the mukti key you get to open meter cabinets, but with a square shaped head, not triangular. I don't think there can ever have been any kind of handle attached; we were the first occupants and there wasn't one when we moved.

I feel sure there must be a specific tool to fit as all apartments in the block have the same arrangements, it's just a problem finding where. I've spoken with many other residents and none have a tool to fit, in fact they didn't realise the potential problem until now, so others are in the same boat as I am.

Any further help would be appreciated.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:50 pm

OK. Now have a better idea of what you need.
I've just fitted a new door and it uses a 8mm square key. Bought it from my local fereteria.
You need to try fereterias until you find one.
Central was the name of the fereteria I got mine from in Velez Malaga.
Depends on how deep and wide the access hole is a socket, from a socket set might fit.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi Parilla,
Your OH not got a 12 walled socket set :?: They will fit square nuts.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks Gerryh and Enrique. I will go on a fereteria hunt for a key like yours Gerryh (more enjoyable than a trip to Mercadona ).

I've got a socket set which I've tried ( Enrique, I am the OH !), but the business ends are not square, they are those multi point star things, and the edges of the boss thing I need to turn are not true right angles but slightly rounded, so the socket slips even though it seems the right size. Didn't realise you could get them actually square so I will put them on my hunting list.

Many thanks, Parilla.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:53 pm

Couldn't you use a half-round file to enlarge the opening sufficiently to accept a socket set spanner?

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:59 pm

Can you not just turn the water off at the meter outside?
And Enrique . . .
Your OH not got a 12 walled socket set
Our socket set is jointly owned :think:
Ann

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi annfoto,
I would expect that from you....gathered from your posts...........Ms Practical..........

"Likely to succeed or be effective in real circumstances" :D

It surprising how many fellas these days don't even have a screw driver. :thumbdown:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.