Perspex sheets

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Perspex sheets

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:29 pm

For the last three years, in the runup to winter, I have been stapling plastic sheeting over the windows to prevent water getting in during heavy rain. Seems to be a common problem with wooden frames that open inwards.

After a few days of high wind the plastic starts tearing so has to be replaced a couple of times each winter.

I am contemplating, this year, using sheets of clear perspex instead of the plastic sheet. I have worked out a way of fixing it that should make it easy to instal/remove each year. Hopefully this means I will be able to use the same sheets for a few years.

Before I head off down to Leroy Merlin/Bauhaus, does anyone have any idea how much perspex sheets cost? I have 10 windows to do so will need in the region of 7 metres by 7 metres although the exact amount will depend on the size of the sheets. Or is there a supplier in the Velez Malaga area that supplies at similar prices (takes me almost as long to get to Velez as it does to get to Leroy Merlin)

As the windows all vary in size and shape I will be cutting it myself, leaving a gap at the sheltered top of the window for ventilation.

Thanks in advance for any info.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

annfoto
Resident

Re: Perspex sheets

Postby annfoto » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Steve,
I take it you have the traditional wooden windows with internal shutters?.
We solved the leaky window problem last year for good. Get hold of some good quality draught strip, the aluminium type with the rubber inset. We fixed that to the bottom of each window on the outside. It works - no leaks. :thumbup:
Ann

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Sounds interesting, Ann.

Did you fit it to the actual window or the frame so that it holds against the window when it closes? If the latter then it may be tricky due to metal bars we have fixed into the frame. If attached to the actual opening part, do you have the rubber strip so that it goes between window and frame. Doesn't that make them harder to close fully?

Any chance of a picture?

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:52 pm

Windows need washing :oops:
As you can see it is screwed to the windowsill. Absolutely no leaks last winter even in driving rain.
Ann

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks Ann. I'll give that a go. Much easier than cutting perspex sheets.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Found a length of draught excluder in the garagr. Unfortunately, because our metal bars are inset into the frame, there isn't enough room to attach the draught excluder, even with modification. Was worth a try though.

Back to the perspex idea.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:29 pm

We put 1" aluminium blinds on the outside of our windows - a bit like persianas but much cheaper !

We bought the blinds in UK and shipped them out; bought plastic 'trunking' (one'L' shaped length did 2 or 3 windows) to act as a restrainer for the blinds against wind (from Leroy or Bauhaus - can't remember which).
Drilled a small hole thro the top of the window frame and fed the pull cords thro to inside so able to raise & lower the blinds as needed. Not able to adjust the angle, especially upstairs, as we have mosquito mesh stapled to the windows !

Works very well, at a fraction of the costs - hubby reckons less than 20 euros per window

Would have posted a photo, but don't seem to have any.... :oops: - I'll make sure to take some when we're over for Christmas
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Thanks Chrissie. We had thought about blinds but some of the windows are quite small so getting blinds to fit might prove difficult. Also, with the small windows especially, when the blinds are pulled up they would still block out a fair proportion of light. We want clear coverings so as not to be permanent nighttime indoors.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:08 pm

Size could be a problem, but ours don't block the light at all, as they pull up to fit within the thickness of the frame :D

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks Chrissie. I'll investigate.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:45 pm

the perspex (like roofing for conservatories in the uk) is 22€ / m2 in the window shop in alhaurin. or in aki they do a 3m x 1.5m sheet for 60€.

ive not got a clue how much a sheet of 5mm thick clear perspex is tho,sorry.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:29 pm

Didn't think the rain today was going to be so heavy. Water got in round bedroom window and into a socket, causing a power trip. Upstairs sockets isolated while they dry out. Off to Leroy Merlin or ferreteria this week to get something before the next heavy rain. Will probably just do plastic sheeting again this year and do something more permanent next year. Should have done it earlier, but too lazy!

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:35 pm

I put this on another forum with regard to draught proofing doors and windows; it might work to stop water, also?

1, brush any dirt off the frames.
2, ‘paint’ with white spirit or turps etc and dry with a clean cloth.
3, apply silicone sealant to the frame.
4, cover the sealant and part of the frame with cling film.
5, close the door or window and leave for a couple of days to go off(ish).
6, remove the cling film.
7, smear a little oil onto the mating face of the door or window, to stop it sticking.
8, close the door or window and cut off any excess sealant with a Stanley knife etc.

Hey presto, you have a seal :mrgreen:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:59 pm

"Hey presto, you have a seal"

Not so good for those using open/log burning fires...........ventilation is the key.

I use plastic sheeting on two of my windows .......Campo Steve style, except mine last at least three summers and winters.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:07 am

Good point, Enrique. I do need ventilation for the log burner so the silicone seal method might be too effective.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:26 pm

chrissiehope wrote:We put 1" aluminium blinds on the outside of our windows - a bit like persianas but much cheaper !

We bought the blinds in UK and shipped them out; bought plastic 'trunking' (one'L' shaped length did 2 or 3 windows) to act as a restrainer for the blinds against wind (from Leroy or Bauhaus - can't remember which).
Drilled a small hole thro the top of the window frame and fed the pull cords thro to inside so able to raise & lower the blinds as needed. Not able to adjust the angle, especially upstairs, as we have mosquito mesh stapled to the windows !

Works very well, at a fraction of the costs - hubby reckons less than 20 euros per window

Would have posted a photo, but don't seem to have any.... :oops: - I'll make sure to take some when we're over for Christmas
Did you get a quote for having persianas fitted? We bought new ones 4 years ago for all our windows (except the kitchen and bathrooms where they're not needed), and paid 180€ for all 8 of them, which was less than I was expecting them to cost. All are slightly different sizes, but mostly around 120 x 100 cm.

All our upstairs windows except the bathroom are the old, inward opening wooden type with shutters, and we've never had a problem with water getting in, even during the heaviest rain. Shortly after we moved over permanently, I embarked on stripping all the old brown paint off them (the kind of job you wish you'd never started, but the wood was in remarkably good condition under all the old paint and the rooms look lighter somehow now they're Antique White instead!).

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Free at Last wrote: Did you get a quote for having persianas fitted?
Not really - we asked our Spanish friend what she thought and she said maybe about 200 euros per window.... so we never looked any further :oops:
Hubby likes these little (!) jobs anyway, but if I'd thought to ask on here, maybe we'd have done it differently :wink:

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Our drawback is the size of the windows that let in water. The widestvare 87cm, the narrowest 45cms. A bit awkward for persisans.

I've done them now for this year with plastic sheet for undet 10 euros, including staples. We'll have a review of it next year.

Thanks for all the advice.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Campo Steve wrote:Our drawback is the size of the windows that let in water. The widestvare 87cm, the narrowest 45cms. A bit awkward for persisans.

I've done them now for this year with plastic sheet for undet 10 euros, including staples. We'll have a review of it next year.

Thanks for all the advice.
Steve,
Is your keyboard broke or have you been at the cooking wine?
Ann

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Sorry. Did that on the iPad and was typing too quickly on the touch screen.

Message to self - don't rush!