Basin taps

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Parilla
Resident

Basin taps

Postby Parilla » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:13 pm

A few weeks ago, the tap on a bathroom basin became very stiff and awkward to use, both when turning horizontally hot to cold, and vertically for rate of water flow. New washers, lubrication had no effect, so I bought and fitted a new tap, and this was fine just like normal - for a few days !!!!

Now, just a week since fitting it has become stiff again, just like the old one. Every other tap in the place is fine.

I am mystified, does anyone have any ideas ?

Parilla

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Basin taps

Postby ebbnflow » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:38 pm

This is a bit of a guess based on past experience as plumbing is not something I attack very often.

You may have excessive cal or debris in your system. The tap in question may be the first or last outlet on the system and, therefore, collecting said cal or debris.

Have you descaled the boiler or other part of your water system recently?
Is the water flow from that tap reduced?
Do you have the triple filters fitted to your main supply inlet, i.e. debris/cal/chlorine?
If you do, what condition are they in? Maybe a clean/replacement is required.

In our case we had a kitchen tap behaving like yours but the water flow was also reduced by the build up. Once the system and offending tap had been flushed through and new filters fitted everything was fine.

Stoker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Stoker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:20 pm

ebbnflow wrote:This is a bit of a guess based on past experience as plumbing is not something I attack very often.

You may have excessive cal or debris in your system. The tap in question may be the first or last outlet on the system and, therefore, collecting said cal or debris.

Have you descaled the boiler or other part of your water system recently?
I've heard that it is advisable to descale boilers but I wonder how it is done.

Any ideas?

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Thanks for suggestions.

Parilla