Cover for above ground pool

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Cover for above ground pool

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:35 am

As our Bestway 4 x 2m above ground pool has given way for the second time in as many years, we have now ordered a fibreglass pool 4.5 x 2.5m that will sit on the ground rather than in it. For the old pool we managed to get a rubbery cover from Carrefour that fitted well, but it is not big enough for this new pool. I can find the bubble-type of cover that floats on top of the water but I cannot find a good quality flexible cover that will sit over the whole pool.

We have used tarpaulins in the past but cannot get anything other than the cheap plastic blue ones that aren't waterproof and quickly fall apart.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cover for above ground pool

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:01 pm

Have you tried a toldo shop ? Our old cover for our in ground pool was called a toldo by everyone Spanish - we got it from a local pool shop, and it was very heavy duty (tho couldn't withstand some idiot kids chucking rocks at it :thumbdown: ) and lasted quite a few years
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:21 pm

go to an agricutural supplier that has various thickness of plastic on rolls. I have never used anything else.
I only bought some the other day. on roll 3m wide but is quadrupled up. I.e. when opened out is 12m long. I bought 5m in length x the 3m width , which equates to 60m2 = 54€
last for years . Degradation from the sun is main problem.
I used all the other stuff + pool suppliers own covers in the UK , all useless.
the thick black plastic has the additional benefit that it allows no light through therefore when taken off the water is clear & , in my case, barely takes an hour to hoover clean & adjust chemicals.
this year is the first time that the pool has been used for 2 years. :thumbup:
Todos somos Lorca.

infoseeker
Resident

Postby infoseeker » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:04 pm

Is a pool cover really necessary?
We were going to have one the bubble types, made to measure, first time it was made the wrong size, second time some of the bubbles had already burst. We decided to leave it. It seems to be a bother , accumulating garden debris, sand and muck on top, with the risk of it going in the water.
If the pool was to be left for a long time, and a kindly neighbour cleaned the cover, perhaps.
I can 't see why anyone would want to if they lived in the property full time, preferring to enjoy the appearance of the pool. As for being able to swim for a longer period, why would anyone want to use it in colder weather anyway,shivering on the way to the pool, all the rigmarole of uncovering it etc.
Plus, anything could be happening below that cover, leaks etc.
It seems an unnecessary expense, but someone must love them, going by the number of firms selling them.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:19 pm

infoseeker wrote:Is a pool cover really necessary?
Yes, if you are going to leave the pool for long periods.

No, if it is in continual use.

To be fair, the OP was asking about a cover for an above ground pool which is a different problem.

We had a pool in the UK and a summer bubble cover was essential to keep what little heat there was in the pool to avoid using the pool heater. In Spain it gets so hot by August (33ºc) I almost thought about finding a way of cooling it down!

Our near neighbours come out for a couple of visits every year and they have a heavy duty cover which is still in good shape after 7 years (apart from replacing the bungee straps). Without that the pool would require constant maintenance. I keep an eye on it for them and the water will stay clean over the winter with very little attention.

I agree with you about the appearance of the pool. Ours in an integral part of the garden design and a cover would kill that, even in the winter.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:29 pm

gus-lopez wrote:go to an agricutural supplier that has various thickness of plastic on rolls. I have never used anything else.
I used all the other stuff + pool suppliers own covers in the UK , all useless.
the thick black plastic has the additional benefit that it allows no light through therefore when taken off the water is clear & , in my case, barely takes an hour to hoover clean & adjust chemicals.
this year is the first time that the pool has been used for 2 years. :thumbup:
That sounds the sort of stuff we are looking for. How do you keep it in place Gus?
El Cid wrote:
infoseeker wrote:Is a pool cover really necessary?
Yes, if you are going to leave the pool for long periods.
No, if it is in continual use.
To be fair, the OP was asking about a cover for an above ground pool which is a different problem.
Sid
Sid ...... 'continual use' made me chuckle ..... despite living in southern Spain we only use it between June and late September, so there is a lot of months it is sitting idle.
In the summer we cover it after we have had a swim as there are always loads of insects and plant debris that gets blown into it. We had an inground pool before and hated it as we were always cleaning it (in a rented house where the landlord didn't provide a cover and we weren't going to pay out for one).
As our pool sits above ground it doesn't look quite so attractive as looking across the water from your house or terrace, so we just want something to keep it clean. The floating bubble ones are useless as covers as all the dirt just falls into the water as you drag it off.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:09 pm

Wicksey wrote: The floating bubble ones are useless as covers as all the dirt just falls into the water as you drag it off.
I agree, they will disintegrate after a couple of years in the Spanish sunshine.

Yes, keeping a big sheet of plastic secured over an inground pool would be difficult as it is not easy to get suitable fixing rings into it, but with an above ground pool it should be easier to attach so weights to it and rely on gravity to hold it in place.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:35 pm

I know this isn't really relevant to the OP, but thought it might help A.N.Other who might be thinking about pool covers....

When our 'toldo' finally expired, we decided we didn't want another one like that. As we were not there full time, we needed something that would a.) keep the dirt out, b.) stop local children & wildlife falling in, c.) must be easy to open & close pool, and d.)a bit of thermal insulation wouldn't go amiss :wink:

We spent a long time researching & getting quotes (bubblewrap cover weren't strong enough for our needs) and found that,to do what we wanted, a telescopic cover was in fact cheaper than a 'rigid' roll-out cover !

So we shelled out (& it wasn't cheap), and we have been exceedingly happy with it ever since (about 4 years) - you can leave one end in position (we leave the shallow end where there is a bit more terracing) and pop a couple of chairs/ loungers in under the cover - you can get out of the water and be sheltered from any chilly breezes until you have dried off ! If you want to swim at night without fighting off bugs, just keep it closed (leave a bit open for ventilation as the chlorine can be a bit smelly if it builds up)

Thoroughly recommend it :thumbup: :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:40 am

I use big spring clips to hold in place clipped to edges.Obviously it depends on type of edging.
the clips I use are the sort the market stallholders use which are extremely well sprung ( or those for battery jump leads, or even welding clamp earths. Mine were a euro each in the chinese shop. failing that if it overlaps down sides enough you can secure it with a thin plastic coated wire all round & tightened with a ratchet clip. (similar to a fence wire tensioner.I've even used one of them)
Make sure the plastic is thick 1
Todos somos Lorca.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:29 am

Thanks everyone .... I know the clips you mean Gus as we have used the smaller ones to hold our current cover in place, clipping it to the edges of the liner.

We are still awaiting the delivery of our new pool so will be on the lookout for some thick black plastic in the meantime. At some time we shall be looking to enclose the fibreglass pool sides perhaps with wood, so we shall be able to put some hooks or something into that to hold down any cover. Just as well it has been a cooler June so far as usually by now I am desperate to get in to cool off :)

infoseeker
Resident

Postby infoseeker » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:21 pm

Cooler June ? Not in our area, been the hottest for years!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:03 pm

infoseeker wrote:Cooler June ? Not in our area, been the hottest for years!
You don't say where you are. The nights have been cooler than usual for June near the coast and the house has stayed cooler than normal for this time of year. I still need my duvet on the bed. The forecast for Tuesday is only 23 degrees ..... I shall need my jumper on if that is the case :lol: