Architectural Salvage

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Pondy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Architectural Salvage

Postby Pondy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:40 am

Does anyone have any contacts for Architectural Salvage. I have 8 cast iron window grills, rejas de ventanas and an ornamental cast iron staircase, veranda de escalara all from the same property and well over 100 years old which we want to dispose of.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Architectural Salvage

Postby Enrique » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:53 am

Hi Pondy,
A place you could inquire in................. :idea:

Come down the N-432 Alcalá la Real by-pass.........come off the turning as if going to Lidl, at the STOP sign go straight on ....JV-2243 and after about 400mtr on the left.

There is another place..........go down through Huétor Tájar its on the Polígono Industrial estate that runs alongside the A-92............I've just been sent a detailed location map, if you want a copy please PM me your email address.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:47 pm

You don't say where you are, but if you're not near enrique's suggestion, there's rincon recuperables, right at the north side of the A7 at rincon, immediately opposite El Cano, the huge ferreteria
AlisonB

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi AlisonB,
Reason I gave a detailed post....Pondy is up my way........ :D

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:30 pm

Do you want them gone or are you looking to sell them? If you just want them gone leave them outside and they will not be there in 48 hours. Metal thieves are lurking everywhere.

A friend bought a bar near Mijas and had 6 of the old CRT type tv's. He put them outside under a sheet until he could hire a van to dump them and they were gone in the morning. Stolen but worth pennies.

Pondy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pondy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:10 pm

Thanks for all replies, we do want to sell them, they are extremely ornate and we think very rare. There is no rush to dispose of them and we shall try various avenues to sell.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:24 pm

Hi Enrique

we are interested in the location of the salvage spot at Huetor. I'll have a look next time we are there.
Most of the units up there are now empty. There used to be a factory making thousands of "funchos"

Thanks.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi olive,
Latest news(today) I have on the Huétor Tájar site is they are in "Summer mode" so not a lot in or going on............ :(

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:29 pm

I am looking to buy some character for a new house! Can anyone recommend any places I can buy character?

In other words architectural salvage shops/yards. I am not after antiques furniture but rather actual architectural additions. Doors, windows, stone pillars, flooring etc etc.

Preferably near the costa tropical but willing to travel all over Andalucía......whenever they let us out again.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:57 pm

Good luck!

There used to be a number of yards along the A92 between Granada and Antequera selling old items. One by one they have closed down. Conely.es are one still in business. We were always astonished at the high prices items commanded. I suspect down to rarity/ scarcity.

You might have to do some leg work. We have seen items in a corner of a builders yard. Presumably removed from a site where they supplied new materials. Similarly Capilla madera woodyard near the Puleva milk factory on the outskirts of Granada have similar items tucked away presumably taken back on the empty lorry. Capilla do quite nice new but old style doors. One advantage is they fit, aren’t warped etc

Let us know how you get on please.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:06 pm

Opposite side of road to Cano/Big Mat near Rincon. There is a yard that sells everything you want.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:17 pm

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:17 pm

yes.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:39 pm

Thanks...when Juanma Moreno let's me go I will have a look

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:31 am

alisonb wrote: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:47 pm You don't say where you are, but if you're not near enrique's suggestion, there's rincon recuperables, right at the north side of the A7 at rincon, immediately opposite El Cano, the huge ferreteria
blimey i always thought that was a scrap yard - chatarra. i´ve seen some doors and rejas outside, as well as a solar water heater for sale, which was very cheap.

costakid wrote: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:30 pm Do you want them gone or are you looking to sell them? If you just want them gone leave them outside and they will not be there in 48 hours. Metal thieves are lurking everywhere.

A friend bought a bar near Mijas and had 6 of the old CRT type tv's. He put them outside under a sheet until he could hire a van to dump them and they were gone in the morning. Stolen but worth pennies.
I´m surprised that he didnt get them back, in pieces, the next day. People who take old CRT´s only want the copper out of them. worthless individually but a box full of copper can fetch € 000´s. at the moment its about €4/kilo. it soon adds up if you have "big" items like that, tv´s, transformers etc.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:33 am

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:29 pm I am looking to buy some character for a new house! Can anyone recommend any places I can buy character?

In other words architectural salvage shops/yards. I am not after antiques furniture but rather actual architectural additions. Doors, windows, stone pillars, flooring etc etc.

Preferably near the costa tropical but willing to travel all over Andalucía......whenever they let us out again.
on the a92 before antequera on the antequera - malaga side. next to a big hotel. theres a "salvage / reclamation" yard. I´ll try and find it on google maps, i´ve stopped at the resturant next door for a coffee, theres horse & cart carts outside it.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:23 am

oh, and theres the place on the left after the tunnel at san pedro, but thats gonna be a bit more expensive i imagine?