alternative for buying bottled water

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
USINSPAIN
Resident

alternative for buying bottled water

Postby USINSPAIN » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:48 am

Does anyone have any suggestions I buy the bottled water to drink I had attached to it screwed on the bottle a handy gadget I pump to get the water, It is on its way out so I think now is the time to have a look at some other methods to supply my drinking water are these purifiers as good as they say they are and can I fit it myself

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: alternative for buying bottled water

Postby Julie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:01 am

We have the filter with the 3 barrels fitted under the sink, dead easy to fit and if you shop around you will find it for about 80 euros, I would pay double for it ithout a second thought, best thing we ever bought, and when the filters are full the water just stops running so then you change it, but they last well over a year with everyday use, maybe a lot more time.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:06 am

We have always used a britta filter and have had no problems. We are looking to start filling 5l containers with the spring water that runs 365 in vinuela and puente don Manuel also alcaucin. There are under bench adapters you can buy or get fitted but we aren't in Spain enough to justify the cost.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:10 am

Hi Julie can you give us some details as to where you got your system from. Also how much are the filters. Thanks.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:50 pm

We have a tap attached to the kitchen sink :crazy: . The water is put into the pipes by Benahavis town hall. Whats wrong with tap water ?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Depends entirely where you live and where your water comes from.
I have seen inside the three water depositos that supply the water to
my taps.
I certainly don't fancy drinking it. :thumbdown:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:13 pm

If you had ever tasted the tap water in Benalmádena you wouldn't ask that question!

Our own water, though, comes from the Sierra de Mijas and it tastes far better than any bottled water.
Let's go Brandon!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Our place is on mains and the locals say it's perfect to drink. My problem is it comes out of the tap and into your glass looking like someone's put a tablespoon of Andrews in it.............put's me right off and keeps Lanjeron in business :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:02 pm

Most "town" water is drinkable because it has to be disinfected with chlorine, which can obviously affect the taste. Campo water can come from various sources, but it is only classified as for agricultural use. It might in fact be as good as spring water, but it may have come from a huge deposito somewhere full of dead rats or worse!

The "cheap" water filters, Brita and the like, do an excellent job of clarifying the water and removing the nasty taste and smell. Carbon filters containing silver can do a passable job of removing some pathogens but not viruses.

The type of purification system you need depends on the water you are trying to treat. If it is possibly badly contaminated and has not been chlorinated or similarly treated, the only solution is a Reverse Osmosis (RO) system. These can be quite small, under sink units, but they are relatively expensive. The technology is the same as that used in watermakers which can create perfectly clean and safe water from salt water or even seriously contaminated sources.

When we were cruising around the Med we had a RO watermaker on the boat and you could happily run it in a really dirty marina with suspect sewage contamination.

It's really a question of "horses for courses".

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:27 pm

We use a Brita tap, into a Brita jug, but only for water that is to be boiled ( kettle, pans). Any drinking water is bottled, either the less expensive 10c a litre stuff, or the tastier Lanjaron. We avoid the extra cost of the blue bottles that are just for posers.
Ask the locals who say that the water is fine to drink how many of them have had gall and/or bladder stones...painful and needing surgery. All that cal makes lovely stones!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:07 pm

Thank you all I will stick with bottled water

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:20 pm

I drink the tap water, after putting it through a Brita filter jug.
Our water is safe to drink before filtering according to the SINAC website, but filtering improves the flavour.
About €4 a month for a new filter. It works for me.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi

The filters are not hard to find any plumbers or Leroy Merlin etc sell them, just vary in price as to where you buy them as do the filters. I would pay a few hundred quid for one if i had to I am that impressed with ours, no more carrying or buying bottled water, our friends (4) have them now fitted as think the same as I do, worth every penny. I bought mine in Adra but my friends have bought theirs from various places, now you know they exist you will probably notice them everywhere now.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:15 am

Around every two weeks we make the short trip to our local "fuente" and fill a dozen or so 5l bottles with pure limestone filtered water for our drinking/cooking needs. It tastes far better than the chemical treated stuff that comes out of the tap and also does away with the need to de-scale the kettle. :D

Whitestripe
Tourist

Postby Whitestripe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:27 am

Really biribiri? I never heard that before. Can you tell us how it works? Is it really better that bottled one?
Affordable and Trustworthy summerlin hvac installation

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:23 am

Be careful with the local 'fuentes'. We were taken to one just outside Comares (heading towards Los Ventorros for those with local knowledge) by our builder, who boasted of the purity of the water.
We started to fill some 5 litre plastic bottles, until we noticed a considerable amount and variety of local creatures happily swimming around in them.
We have bought bottled water ever since!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:09 am

Never seen any creatures in our fuente water pete, there is a disclaimer notice posted that it is not "agua potable" However we have not had any ill effects from drinking it for 10yrs. And judging by the queue of people waiting to fill their bottles on most days neither has anyone else.
I would rather use it than some bottled waters we have tried, they do tend to have extra minerals etc added, and we find they can cause things to bung up a bit if you know what i mean. :)

Although I have in the past through necessity had to drink water directly from the orinoco river that had quite the opposite effect. :problem:

But that's another story :)