Septic tank!

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
ashtondav
Resident

Septic tank!

Postby ashtondav » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:37 pm

Just had a new one installed and we're getting pongs! The installer seems unclear as to the reason. Anyone suffer from this and any likely causes? The tank is a good distance down a hill from the house.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Septic tank!

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:51 pm

It needs to settle down and get all the bacteria working properly.

You can buy packets of special enzymes to start it up. Some people suggest a few packets of dry baking yeast.

Sid

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:03 pm

The inlet pipe is not to disturb the water in the tank as it must be under the water line, the same applies to the out but i am sure the installer knows this.
I have heard of people putting roadkill or similar into tanks but i do not know if this works.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:23 pm

I don't think you can ever expect to be completely free from pongs as there should be a vent pipe on the discharge side of the contraption - a 4" plastic pipe is usual that ends above ground. This is before the tail drain that runs into wherever it runs to! Almost "clean" water, but pongy to a small extent.

Where do you notice the smell? Is it in the house? Is it near the tanks? near the discharge?''......???

I assume the input pipe run is underground all the way or are there arquetas (manholes) en route, in which case - if visible - can be a source of smells 'cos of the way they're usually built in Spain. Similarly, the screw-on lids to the chambers can allow some smells to escape if not screwed down tight.
The inlet pipe is not to disturb the water in the tank as it must be under the water line
This is not the case with the 2 tanks I have installed. The pipe connection is a 90 degree bend coming from the top of the first chamber. There is a baffle in the first chamber that fulfills the "non-disturbance" function.
nil illegitimum carborundum

jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jaycecampo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Having problems with our septic tank, it's about 10 years old. We need to have it emptied every 6 months, only 2 people using it. Do the more up to date septic tanks function correctly with shower, washing machine water etc. We were told that as we put everything into it a new one will not be an improvement.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:38 pm

Jaycecampo, you surely must be using something that is killing the biological action that a fosa septica thrives on! Either that, or the thing has been wrongly installed.
You must avoid any chemicals like toilet cleaners, aqua fuerte, bleach and so on, minimise the use of toilet paper (or put this in a bin rather than down the loo as many locals do), and avoid an excess of soap powders and so on. I am assuming that you have a large plastic twin-chamber tank buried there, not one of the old and now illegal concrete and brick things?
Ours is ten years old, and stands us two all the time, plus many visitors in the summer months (up to six at a time), and herself is a very keen washer and cleaner...the only problem we have is a smell from the vent pipe, but this is down to its location (twit Spanish builder), and ameliorated by fosa septica bags and an active carbon filter on top of the pipe.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:41 am

I would suspect your drainage "field" is silted up.
nil illegitimum carborundum

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:49 am

jaycecampo wrote:Having problems with our septic tank, it's about 10 years old. We need to have it emptied every 6 months, ..
Why does it need emptying?
Are you saying it gets full and overflows?
If so then you have a problem with the outlet from the rank being blocked in some way.
Is it a proper multi chamber septic tank or just a hole in the ground?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jaycecampo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:21 am

Thank you...Petrololdracer Yes we know about using bleach etc and it is a 2 chamber as you describe.
GerryH...I think you could be right about a blockage in the outlet pipe.
It doesn't overflow but is always full when you look in the 'pipe thing' at the top. We use the washing machine twice a week, no dishwasher. It seems major excavations may be needed.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:37 am

It will always look full when you open the access in the top of the tank! What is important is that the biological action is 'eating' the solid matter, With a trickle output of water that is far from drinkable but ok for irrigation.
There should be a crust on the top of the stuff in the first tank. If you have a length of metal rod you could carefully poke it through the crust and check that below it is mostly liquid until you can feel more glutinous matter as the end of the rod gets near the bottom of the tank. Be gentle, trying not to disturb the crust too much, and of course take care to avoid exposure to the fumes that will be evident.
You may be worrying about nothing....on the other hand, if there is anything other than liquid coming out of the exit pipe you have a problem needing a professional! I recommend PipeTek and from what I hear avoid Wayne's Drains.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:10 pm

As Peter has pointed out, the first chamber should always be full, it trickles over into the second and third chamber, if there is one, before exiting via the outlet pipe as relatively clean water.
They only start to work properly when the first chamber is full and the bacteria has started to break down the solids.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

mujer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mujer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:00 pm

Gerry that's very interesting that it only works properly when the first chamber is full.
Ours never has much water in it, certainly none above the black plastic looking bits at the bottom.
It's a long way away and down and water does drain into it as we tested it several times.
But we do get smells too.
Do you think we could try hose filling up chamber one to see if that helps it work as it should?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:19 pm

You may get an insight from this: http://www.mrfixitbali.com/articles/article121.html
mujer, it does sound like there is a hole somewhere letting the liquid waste either go straight through both tanks, or some other structural defect.

mujer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mujer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:52 pm

A very informative link Peter. Many thanks.
It looks like we should locate the outlet pipe first, before trying any fill-up.
We have checked the water does flow into the first tank, albeit it very slowly.
Unfortunately, if it's not filling up it seems a crack or hole somewhere letting the water out of the chamber does sounds quite likely.