Portable gas fire faulty!

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Portable gas fire faulty!

Postby olive » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:25 pm

Not sure where to put this query.

The device is a wheel about fire(the orange gas bottle stands inside it). Made by Ufesa and is about 8 years old.

It lights as normal ( using a naked flame- the auto function packed up just out of guarantee of course). Works fine for maybe ten minutes and then extinguishes. Gas bottle has plenty of gas.

Dust? Thermostat? Has it had its day? Is it cost effective repairable?

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Portable gas fire faulty!

Postby country boy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:02 pm

Could be the pilot light not warming the thermocouple sufficently ( the little sticky-up bit in the flame of the pilot light. Stick a bit of scrapey wire down the pilot light orifice and aslo scrape the electrode of the thermocouple in case it is coated, also make sure that the pilot light plays on the thermo couple, the mounting bracket might have got distorted or bent. Failing all that, it is probaly a knackered thermocouple, only a few euros and simple to fit, do you have a tame gas fitter? Also if you have an alternative regulator to replace the current one with ,that's worth a try. Fear not, they are simple beasts!

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:54 am

This is worth a try aswell. Get your Hoover and give the whole front a good hoovering ie where the pilot light is and all across where the ceramic plates are. It worked for us.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:53 am

Following my good advice about not licking car batteries,don't Hoover it while it's alight :crazy:

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:34 pm

I had a similar problem which I identified as a block jet to the thermocouple i.e. There was no gas to keep the pilot light lit. If I held a lighter against the thermocouple the fire lit, remove the lighter and the fire went out. Solution was to bend the thermocouple so it is heated by the fire. I know it's not safe but I am grown up. It's being going well for about 5 years now.

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:20 pm

Similar here too!
In my case just cleaning the jet and the electrode did the trick.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:20 pm

I am pleased to say after a damn good clean and hoover it is now working fine again. Thanks

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:52 pm

I posted a similar question a few years back, but the replies at that time didn't mention cleaning the fire, glad to see that the hoover works; I'll try that next time we are over.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13634