filling a pool

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

filling a pool

Postby chrissiehope » Thu May 28, 2015 10:36 am

Our well has apparently run dry, and as it chucked a load of soil in when filling the pool, it probably now needs emptying & cleaning, then re-filling. As the well can't be used, I'm looking at maybe getting a tanker of water. So, three questions:

Am I right in thinking a pool should not be left empty for more than say a week ?

How much water is likely to be needed for a 4m x 8m pool with a roman end (approx 5' 6 at deep end) ?

Can anyone recommend a supplier in the Antequera area, and their cost ?

TIA

Chrissie
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: filling a pool

Postby Beachcomber » Thu May 28, 2015 10:59 am

Ideally a pool should not be left empty at all. You will need approximately 43m3 of water.
Let's go Brandon!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu May 28, 2015 11:08 am

I seem to remember that water was 10 euros a cu m including transport and pumping into your tank. Might have been 100euros a load -ten maybe 20 cu m. Mind you that was ten years ago.

If the only problem is sediment in your pool from your well, why not just vacuum and filter the existing water?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu May 28, 2015 11:25 am

If you do that make sure you vacuum to waste in the first instance to get rid of the worst of it otherwise you will clog up the filter.
Let's go Brandon!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu May 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Yes, vacuuming to waste was my idea for tackling the problem, but the pool will still need filling up as it is already well below the skimmer intakes. It was the person who inadvertantly got the soil in there in the first place who suggested emptying it, but I wasn't happy with that, so I wanted a 'cast iron' alternative.

As an aside, the reason I said 'a week or so' was because there are times when a pool must be left empty for a short while - I'm thinking of repairs / re-painting etc

My brain is having an off day - how many litres is 43 m3 ?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu May 28, 2015 1:24 pm

A cubic metre is 1000 litres so that would be 43000 litres. If you are going to try backwashing to waste and saving some of the water you will obviously need less.
Let's go Brandon!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu May 28, 2015 1:27 pm

Thanks Beach - now the only question left is - recommended supplier anyone ?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu May 28, 2015 3:05 pm

Can't help you there. You really someone local. Much of the cost is the actual delivery rather than the value of the water.
Let's go Brandon!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu May 28, 2015 3:38 pm

I suggest you ask at a builders merchants e.g. The one near La Veronica roundabout.

Failing that a local swimming pool builder or shop. ayuntamiento?

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sat May 30, 2015 9:01 am

Hi Chrissie

It sounds like a real pain. Someone in your surrounding area has tapped into you water course with a new well drying up your supply :?:

A friend of ours was paying between 100 and 120€ per 6000litre tank from a local farmer, that was three years ago. Find a local farmer (with his own well) and ask him about supply and delivery, they usually deliver by tanker normally they use for crop spraying. You can go to your ayuntamiento and tell them you want to fill your pool up via the normal water supply, they may then charge you a fixed cheaper rate for the 50,000litres or so.

If its a reinforced concrete pool our local Spanish Builder told us that leaving it empty is not a problem, but don't leave it empty too long most, how long I don't know most municipal pools in this area are left empty of water for 8 months or more.

Good Luck :thumbup:

terry

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat May 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi Terry,
I don't think anyone has tapped in, as there's no-one near enough ! There was always a well at the house (ruin) at the top of the hill, as I remember being told how, as a little girl, the lady who previously owned our casa would go up there each day to fill up large pots. The house below us is also a ruin. So I think it is just down to not enough rain :thumbdown:

We aren't on town water, but the last time we had a tanker (at least 5 years ago), my Spanish friend 'bullied' the Mayor into providing it free, but that was only for domestic water, not the pool. I will try & ask her about another tanker, but she now works very long hours & often doesn't read her emails for days on end, and often never gets round to replying...

Thinking about the last tanker, it was quite difficult as part of our land around the house is all fenced in, and they struggled to get the tanker near enough :)

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sun May 31, 2015 9:06 am

Hi Chrissie
Have you enquired about the cost of connecting to the town water :?: I assume Estacion de Archidona has town water, obviously this would involve burying pipework through the campo to your property, that would involve getting permissions from the landowners too, It would definitely be worth it in the long run. Our friends were given a quote of around 5,000€ to connect to their local town water (1Km) inclusive of pipework and excavation etc, they have an extensive garden but no pool.

If you look at Google maps of your area, just South West of your village there is a large reservoir of water in the campo, perhaps the farmer may supply you with his stash.

When I mentioned tanker I referred to the 6,000litre kind that are towed by tractor, they would normally have enough pipe to reach your storage tank.

Good Luck :thumbup: - Dont know what else I can say, you could ask your neighbours in EdeA where their water comes from for their pools & gardens.

terry

brightonion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brightonion » Sun May 31, 2015 9:17 am

Have you had someone to check to see if your well has really run dry?

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun May 31, 2015 1:18 pm

Terry - my Spanish friend enquired around the time we got the tanker, but 'computer said No' :thumbdown:
As the property is on the market, it isn't worth me spending any large sums of money on it. I think I will need more than 6000 ltr, probably more like 10000 or 15000

brightonion - now you come to mention it, no ! We have all assumed that if a load of soil or whatever is coming up, then there ain't no water down there ! Presumably the only way to know for sure is to pull up the pump & see if it or the rope is wet ? Remembering when we had to have the pump replaced last year, it took 3 strong blokes to pull up the pump.... :thumbdown:

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:07 pm

Because of the relatively dry winter most of the wells around us are dry now or just giving small amounts up. We would normally have plenty of water at this time of the year but have had nothing for the last month.