Blocked waste pipe

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Blocked waste pipe

Postby Campo Steve » Sun May 31, 2015 10:48 am

Is there anything I can put down the kitchen sink to clear a blockage?

The waste pipe ir approx 5cm diameter and takes the waste water from the sink, dishwasher and washing machine. The first part of the pipe is under concrete the remsinder then goes down the hillside and empties into a gully. I can't get to the end of the pipe to see if anything is coming out or if snails have crawled in and blocked it. That has happened before with a rainwater pipe something like Mr Muscle drainclear I guess woul do it but is that available in Spain.? I have checked the u-bends under the sink, all clear.

We are careful about not putting grease down the waste. All a bit of a pain as the dishwasher seems to be detecting it can't pump the waste water out so not working, having to revert to handwashing dishes but that water won't flow away either.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Blocked waste pipe

Postby Enrique » Sun May 31, 2015 11:00 am

Hi Campo Steve,
Need one of these in your tool kit..................

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo. ... tAodJlYAJA

You only need something to get out to the pipe connection, I would use a hosepipe and flush through if it was down the final pipe length, mains pressure up this way is on the par with a jet wash........ :shock:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun May 31, 2015 11:01 am

Sounds like a serious blockage that may need rodding if nothing at all is going out. If the end of your drain is open then something may have crawled in :shock: ... in which case Mr Muscle may not be enough!

They do sell various types of Mr Muscle drain cleaner in the supermarkets. I have tried many myself from the big Eroski store at El Ingenio as our kitchen drain sometimes backs up and the dishwasher water comes up into the sink.

In the end I find that regular doses of soda crystals helps. We are very careful and don't put anything down the drain much, certainly no fat or grease but it's a recurring problem for us if I don't use the soda. I used to get mine from Arkwrights in Puente Don Manuel but I see that Mercadona do it now in their toilet cleaner aisle ..... something like sosa cristal.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun May 31, 2015 11:31 am

All ferreterias sell an acid under the trade name of Tubefon. It's quite evil stuff and needs handling with extreme care (and gloves and safety glasses) and the label describes it as 95% (or thereabouts) sulphuric acid. Now, I'm no good, nor ever have been, at chemistry but there's obviously something about H2S04 that doesn't dissolve the plastic of the bottle nor the plastic of the waste pipe..... but it unblocks my wastes!
nil illegitimum carborundum

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun May 31, 2015 1:13 pm

Just been down the hill to find the end of the pipe but no joy, all overgrown with weeds maybe they have grown up the pipe however had a good go with the plunger and somevwzter now seems to be flowing fingers crossed.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun May 31, 2015 1:14 pm

Thanks Enrique. I have one of them but the pipework under the sink id quite complicated so working out where to stick it in isnn't easy

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun May 31, 2015 2:40 pm

Cilit Bang

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun May 31, 2015 4:14 pm

A day with the plunger has done the trick.at least we can use the dishwasher now

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Sun May 31, 2015 4:21 pm

Trooperman wrote:All ferreterias sell an acid under the trade name of Tubefon. It's quite evil stuff and needs handling with extreme care (and gloves and safety glasses) and the label describes it as 95% (or thereabouts) sulphuric acid.!
Excellent stuff but be VERY careful if you buy and use it!!!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 31, 2015 5:12 pm

Agua Fuerte.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 31, 2015 8:50 pm

Safer to stick to mechanical methods if you have a fosa septica...all those chemicals mentioned can kill a bio-chamber! Hose firmly rammed into the drain ( remember to block the overflow hole!), full pressure and Robert is your tio!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun May 31, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks Peter the kitchen water goes into a rainwater gulley so naybe chemicals not a good idea.

Not the dishwasher has packed up. We thought it was to do withthe drainage blockage but that is sorted now. The lights on the front indicate, according to the user manual that the tap on the water supply pipes is turned off. It isn't. I assumed it might mean low water pressure but the water pump at the deposito is kicking in so it isn't that. Stumped. Maybe a failure of the water pressure sensor, if it has one.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 31, 2015 9:13 pm

Everything within six feet of water here seems to get blocked with cal....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.