Hammerite paint in Spain

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Hammerite paint in Spain

Postby Torrox_campo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:37 am

I was going to bring some hammerite paint for my gate and windows fence but after reading comments here about the subject, it seems that hammerite paint is unsuitable because of the sun and the heat. Please give advice if you have used hammerite or recomment a good Spanish metal paints.
Thanks

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Hammerite paint in Spain

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:06 pm

Hammerite is available in Spain so there is no point in bringing it. If there was a problem with it, they wouldn't sell it in Spain, or it might be a different formulation.

I have used Hammerite with no problems. I have also used Titan Oxyron and it seems as good as Hammerite.

Sid

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:30 pm

Thank El Cid.
In this thread they have had problem:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=32775&p=316330&hilit=hammerite+paint#p316330

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Reading that thread there seemed to be more successes than failures.
Having said that I found when I used blue Hammerite it faded badly, no problem with green, white or black so far.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:55 pm

We've found Hammerite to be superior to Titan, especially on the most sun exposed areas. Titan has flaked and needed attention after several years whereas Hammerite has lasted twice as long.

The only time Hammerite failed us was when spraying it on, diluted with the appropriate dissolvent by the recommended ratio.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:52 pm

With mix results then I guess it's down to preparation. My only worry that the hammerite is faded after only 12 months, if it can keep the colour for a good few years like in the UK then I am happy.
Hammerite is a 3 in 1 paint where it is a primer, also an undercoat and a top coat. The fact that it can be applied directly onto rust is a bonus. I have just bought a 2.5l tin to bring it over. Thank you all for your comments.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:21 pm

I don't know why you are bothering to bring it here. Depending on where in Torrox Campo you are, let's say 20 minutes maximum from Torrox Costa, the big paint shop on the right, next to Aldi, stocks the full range of sizes and colours and if they haven''t got it they will get it next day.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:42 pm

I have been to that shop for the swimming pool stuff and I didn't see any Hammerite paint there. My Spanish is non existent to read the info. at the back of the tin. I do believe in buying things in Spain so I don't have to cart the load over but 2.5l tin isn't much weight and to buy these 2.5l green tin you may have to go to Malaga industrial estate near the airport for it.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:38 pm

They have them in the Ferreteria in our village. It's really very freely available.

Sid

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:57 pm

Ditto and likewise!

I would add however that I had three Hardware shops in the UK and the Hammerite I brought over in the first instance was much thicker than the Spanish version and i had to " Go like Hell" to get it on...it dried on the brush!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:10 pm

Something I feel bound to add, well two things really.
At least two of the staff in that shop are fluent English speakers and the Lady, for she is no longer a girl, has lived in London.
If you are going to spend time and therefore money here you must learn to shop around, the Ferreteria not one hundred meters nearer to Malaga will easily half the price you have paid for pool supplies, even Mercadonna are cheaper.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:22 pm

I only went and bought some pool stuff from the shop as I had been given €10 voucher and that was after Eroski near velez Malaga. Frankly I didnt see any 2.5l green Hammerite in Eroski or that DIY shop next to lidl in torrox costa.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:25 pm

country boy wrote:Ditto and likewise!

I would add however that I had three Hardware shops in the UK and the Hammerite I brought over in the first instance was much thicker than the Spanish version and i had to " Go like Hell" to get it on...it dried on the brush!
So you think Hammerite paint in uk is thicker so better coverage?

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Hammerite was manufactured in Spain under licence, by a company named Xylazel. This company also produced a similar product of their own - Oxirite - which was optimised for use under Spanish conditions.

As such, Oxirite is easier to apply (undiluted Hammerite goes thick far too quickly), and also resists going matt/fading under the extremely strong UV levels here.

Hammerite solvent (for diluting, brushwashing and spraying) is frighteningly expensive stuff, but in Spain several brands of "disolvente universal" are available, at a good price, and which will dilute either Hammerite or Oxirite, as well as other solvent-based paints and lacquers.

Both Hammerite and Oxirite are widely available here, but often not from the same outlet. Shop around.

-----------

While on the subject of UK paint, it's not worth bringing over here mainstay UK exterior paints such as Weathershield, Sandtex and (please note) Andura. On the last, I have expensive experience.

These paints seem not to be designed to withstand the extremely high levels of UV we get here, and their life on exterior walls can be short. Far better, I've found are good-grade Spanish paints, designed to be applied and last under our conditions.

I can heartily recommend TKrom's products (available from Pinturas Andalucia and elsewhere), especially their Supercarrera exterior emulsion, which has exceptional covering power and life.
TKrom Antigotteras is the best caucho (rubberised waterproofing/membrane) paint I've seen, and apart from use as a roofing/tiling membrane, in white also makes for an unbelievably good pool-surround non-slip paint, which will withstand jetwashing. You get what you pay for!
Chris

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:37 pm

Thank you TorreDelAquila for your informed information, it was the information I had been looking for while debating whether to bring a tin of Hammerite paint over. I have bought a tin of Hammerite in the UK based on earlier opinions in the thread so I will use it for now and will update this later on about the condition of the paint under the Spanish sun.