Water tank (again)

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
allgram
Resident

Water tank (again)

Postby allgram » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:56 am

Hi, In a previous post about our water tanks(in Competa) we decided to keep them,but again problems with overflowing so we have decided 90% to go over to direct connection but my wife is convinced that we may need extra interior pipework to accommodate this, can anyone tell us if it is all outside work or does it need interior work doing also?

Thank you once again.
allgram.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Water tank (again)

Postby gerryh » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:35 am

If you have a constant and reliable water supply that is never interupted then a direct connection should be OK, otherwise keep your tank and sort ot the overflow problem.
Overflow is usualy caused by a faulty ball valve.
Don't understand why you think you need extra pipework for a direct connection.
Just connect the input pipe, to thee tank with the output pipe from the tank.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:14 am

Your wife is correct but it will be minor pipework.
The standard plumbing is that the mains water goes to the kitchen sink before it goes to the tank.
I am assuming that with the present piping everything is coming from the tank.
Most houses have the inlet piping to tank in area of kitchen sink so it just a matter of taking connection from this.
If this is not the case i would suggest you take a connection from connection point to tank to cold water kitchen supply.
The reason for this is quite simple, the drinking water will be fresh from mains and will not be contaminated by sitting
dormant in tank.The outdoor tap? is generally connected to mains but i expect you will keep the tank water for this purpose.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:28 pm

I agree with gerryh. The overflow problem tend to be the faulty ball valve. Replacement is quite simple. First shutting down the water valve that enters to your property then replace the ball valve.
I recently had to replace this valve as water overflow the deposito. I had to break the outer cement sleeve to get access to the ball valve connection then remove nd replace. The problem was the rubber washer inside the valve was perished but the feretaria only sells whole ball valve I think it was over €10 with the ball. Without the ball it was even less.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:08 pm

I also agree with Gerry.
The original post said 90% decided to connect to mains supply.
I only addressed this question as i thought 90% meant most relevant....

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:40 am

I would think very carefully about connecting 100% to Competa mains water supply.
Having lived in that area for over 20 years, I can guarantee that you will be without mains water during certain times of the year. In some cases, for a few days. This is because the town water also supplies many campo properties, and when supply is low during the dry summer months, the water is diverted to the campo.
Another thing to consider, the Competa water is very hard with a high cal content, which can furr up taps, water heaters and other equipment. It is advisable to install an anti-cal filter before the water enters the property.
This may be part of the reason for your ball valve sticking, a build up of this deposit. I would suggest you install the filter before the ball valve.
If you dont have a filter, check the operation of the valve frequently.
A storage tank with water filter is far the best option.
Hardworking resident !!

allgram
Resident

Postby allgram » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:38 am

A big thank you to all who replied about our water tanks,the advice offered is as usual first class,I thank you all again.

Regards
allgram.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:17 pm

If its been installed 'properly' then there should be a shut off tap on the outside of the tank.

The internal 'float / ballco*k' is super easy to change, its only one connection / nut and is probably the source of your problems with over flowing - the ball, if its polystyrene, deteriorates over time and is not as floaty as it should be. If its a hollow plastic ball then the seal goes on them and the fill with water, hence the valve sinks and the valve stays open.

Its well worth a go, and to be fair waking up and having no water is a total nightmare - if you have a tank i would keep it and replace the valve.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

allgram
Resident

Postby allgram » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:42 am

Thank you spanish lad,more clearer than ever,I do appreciate the advice,again thank you.
allgram.