Tile Cleaning

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Tile Cleaning

Postby costakid » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:52 am

Can anyone advise on cleaning of kitchen and bathroom floor tiles. The rest of the house has smooth marble floors but the kitchen and bathrooms have a type of non slip that seems to hold the dirt. No amount of mopping seems to get them really clean. Do I need to get someone in to steam them and then reseal them or is there a cleaner that I can use myself? I was reluctant to put a sealer on incase they went slippy when wet. Thanks in advance.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tile Cleaning

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:53 pm

If you can locate "bar keepers friend" that is what i'd recommend and it dosen't harm grouting.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:57 pm

I have found it in the UK but not Spain. Would you use the powder, cream or spray version? Any ideas who sell it in Spain.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:54 pm

You can order it on amazon.es I prefer the powder but cream cleanser is just as good...Ciff is another alternative, i call it my go to for most things that soap and water wont touch.Pour it on the tiles neat straight from the bottle take a pan scrubber and work the cream into the tiles,rinse off and you should see the difference.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Thank you.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:57 am

Same "flooring" pattern as you Costa Kid. Did our kitchen yesterday, bathrooms to be done next week.

Thick kneeling pad, scrubbing brush, good old fashioned Vim powder and lots of elbow grease.

Parilla

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:52 am

Will you then seal them?

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:09 pm

No !

I did that twice years ago, but never again. If you put a sealer on, it usually has to be removed at some later stage before you can apply a further coat of new seal, and removing the old layer was an absolute pain in the butt. Since then, I just put up with the Vim routine every now and then when it is needed.

What I did do though, and have found it very much worth the effort was to apply a clear sealant along the grout lines only. I do this just in the kitchen, which gets a lot messier than the bathrooms - at least it does when I have been on food duty . It's a product by HG, the Dutch company, called Protector for Wall and Floor Grout. You apply it with a thin brush along the joints, it works well and doesn't take long - stops the grout getting discoloured and as ours is white that is a big advantage.

Although many HG products are available in Spain, I couldn't find that one, so I just picked up a load of the stuff on one of our trips back to the UK where it was freely available.

Parilla

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:31 pm

Oddly, it's available on Amazon.uk, but not Amazon.nl
Chris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:39 am

Would Aqua Fuerte do this job?