Wiring electric towel radiator

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Wiring electric towel radiator

Postby Rummii » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:27 am

Hi everyone
I’m just a little confused and would like anyone’s input if they have had same thing
I bought an electric 500 watt towel rad and am wiring a plug on it but the instructions say not to earth it and this goes against my English background of construction.....is this normal in Spain and is it to do with there electrical systems being wired differently.....I know the rad is metal and fastened to solid wall so will be grounding itself anyway but just didn’t know if I connect earth why I could have problem ....confused?.....
Thanks

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Wiring electric towel radiator

Postby gerryh » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:07 am

What is the make and model number of the radiator?
Where did you buy it?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rummii » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:03 am

Hi sorry for late reply just standard one from bicomart sorry not got anymore info ....was just confused cause it came with three core but instructions say to not ground it which goes against my English knowledge of earthing everything ..... cannot understand what problem I will get if I earth it anyway?.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:08 am

If it came with three core cable attached then, in my opinion, it should be grounded via the green/yellow wire.
Didn't it have a plug attached?
I thought all appliances sold these days had to have a moulded on plug attached?
Perhaps there was a miss translation relating to the "to not ground"
Any appliance with a metal construction should be grounded here in Spain as in the UK.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:59 am

The problem with electric is you can't smell it and you can't see it coming. The 1st thing you will know if you get it wrong could be your last especially if you just got out the shower. I would defiantly earth it.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:56 pm

To protect against electric shocks all new electrical installations here in Spain are required to have RCCB devices fitted. Slightly older installations had ELCB devices fitted.
Very old, and potentially lethal installations didn't have either fitted.
Have a look at your control board for a device similar to this:
This shows a blue test button, the colour and position varies with different manufacturers but most have a T, for test, on the button.
The purpose of this device is to disconnect the power if a small current, less than that required to kill you, is detected leaking to earth.
This leakage can you caused by you touching a electrically faulty device.
You should periodicaly press the Test button to check that the device trips out correctly.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rummii » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:06 am

Thank you for replies .....it came without plug and had brown live blue neutral and black which they calling pilot wire .... so maybe it is not an earth at all as a lot of items only come with two core....I think this black pilot wire is for connecting more than one heater together so they can all be controlled together( but am not sure ) ...I’m sure they use same green and yellow for earth here don’t they ....haven’t got test button but all trips look new and modern ...there maybe test button on main trip (icp) but for some reason they positioned that with my meter outside

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:54 am

Earth Wire is Green and yellow, never black to my knowledge. Do as instructed, you will be OK. Lots of stuff is only two wire these days.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:50 pm

well don't get it wrong because the kick in the bollo++s that you get can be painful or even worse.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:34 pm

gerryh wrote: Didn't it have a plug attached?
I thought all appliances sold these days had to have a moulded on plug attached?
I wonder if its meant to be wired outside the room, direct to a switch so that you can turn it on / off with possibly wet hands when you are outside of the bathroom?

When I was working with the electrician, that`s what we used to do, but that was years ago. I wonder why it did n`t have a moulded plug on it, like Gerry says - but then, i suppose sockets that can handle that power are not supposed to be installed in bathroom either (with a new installation) so that could be the reason?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rummii » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:19 pm

Thanks all for replies :thumbup: