Painting Railings

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
telboy
Resident

Painting Railings

Postby telboy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:09 pm

We're having terrace wall railings constructed by our local Carpinteria de Metalica, they paint the primer base coat, deliver and fit them, but they don't apply the finished coat. I have seen a metalwork finishes on railings in our local town of Loja which are a kind of matt charcoal colour with a brushed or more accurately a powdered finish (I think is the technical term).

Does anyone know whether this is a paint finish supplied by DIY stores, or, is it a service done by a professional paint spraying outfit :?:

cheers terry :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Painting Railings

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:37 pm

Hammerite do a range of finishes.

https://www.hammerite.es/application/products/

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:58 pm

telboy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:09 pm We're having terrace wall railings constructed by our local Carpinteria de Metalica, they paint the primer base coat, deliver and fit them, but they don't apply the finished coat. I have seen a metalwork finishes on railings in our local town of Loja which are a kind of matt charcoal colour with a brushed or more accurately a powdered finish (I think is the technical term).

Does anyone know whether this is a paint finish supplied by DIY stores, or, is it a service done by a professional paint spraying outfit :?:

cheers terry :thumbup:
We have railings around our pool which were also made and finished in a primer base.. I bought a black mate paint specially for iron work and it looks like you say..powdered...it sparkles in the sunlight. I do however prefer the gloss finish to the iron grills around the windows and the gates look better in a gloss finish but the railings do look nice in mate. I applied it using both a very small roller and a brush You can get it in any paint store, the tin i bought has a picture of iron work on the label.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi telboy,

I've used Titan paint for metal work in Spain.........with very good results.....painted some metal supports 16 years ago and still good , south facing and in full sun.
Printed on the Tin..........esmalte antioxidante oxiron martele martelado negro grafito...... This one gives a hammered effect .

Have the Painter round (management doing the interview ) as I type this with a view to do the Rejas, Terrace railings and House.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.