Tank and pump for house

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Tank and pump for house

Postby olive » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:20 pm

Arrived back home finally to find we only have village water between 10 and 4 .or the foreseeable future.

We have never wanted the added complication of a tank with a powered on demand pump as didnt like the idea of a tank, even with a lid in line. However needs must. Only temp but might become permanent - bypassed for normal use and tank cleaned

So I am thinking a 500 litre tank with lid. Can do the plumbing in. What else do I need please? Modest household with 2 or 3 adults. There is electric power handy.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tank and pump for house

Postby olive » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:23 pm

Anyone?

I am now thinking a lidded tank, ballcock with a stiffener for the tank if very flexible. Pipe out of the bottom at the side, to an on demand pump (not a submersible) then back into the plumbing of the house.

Would the big DIY place near Leroy in Malaga sell all those items? The pump is the unknown but it would need to have enough oomph to feed a shower. i have tried ESPA catalogue but don't really know what I am looking for.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:31 pm

Was going to reply before but got sidetracked.
What you are suggesting will work OK and you can get the necessary pump from Leroy Merlin.
In addition, I would put a shutoff valve on the input and output pipes to/ from the new tank.
If you can site the tank up high, several feet higher than the showerhead, then you won't need a pump, gravity will suffice.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:15 pm

Gerry, excellent suggestion. We left plenty of redundancy in upstairs. there is a perfect place inline on the cold feed. Wouldn't have hot water (other than kettle) but it is so hot that the tank would probably be at thirty degC. Won't need to keep switching it either. Simple solution, Thanks.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:43 am

Can't quite get my head around it as it was years ago now, that I had the same set-up, BUT for some reason and somewhere in the line, there was a non-return valve......but that may have been because it was set up to use village/mains pressure when available and only tank/pump when not.
I'd have to draw it out on paper to work it all out!
nil illegitimum carborundum

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:44 am

The non return valve would be to stop the pump when it kicked in, from sending the water into the town water inlet.
Gerry

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:39 am

We used to have gravity fed water from a tank up on the hill behind us, probably a little higher than the roofline. It was fine until we needed to run the washing machine or dishwasher. For those times we then turned on the pump (which was at ground level next to the house) to give extra oomph. The gravity fed pressure also meant we used less water as the pump was a bit too powerful for day to day use, washing hands, showers etc.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:47 am

Olive,
Have you visited the newish shop/almacen in Huetar Tajar, they stock all kinds of pipes /hose /pumps etc.,
maybe worth a look if you haven't been, sorry never remember names.
It's situated on the way in from the 92 , left at the big roundabout and then the first building just on the left in the row of warehouses.
Hope this helps...

Regards,
Gordon