reliable/skilled pool pump engineer?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

reliable/skilled pool pump engineer?

Postby gavilan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:02 pm

I am at my wits end! ... story goes: about 3 weeks ago the pump which drives the pool jets etc stopped functioning ... went to Clima Centre at Puente don Manuel ... told tecnico would come on Thursday ... no sight nor sound ... so looked for alternative company ... found Piscinas Meditarraneo in Torre del Mar ... they sent un tecnico Monday last week ... he said it needed a new pump ... he came back on Friday to fit new pump, then he said it needed a new valve ... guy came yesterday but had not got right valve!!! ... he would come back today he promised ... so I postponed the car service to make sure I was here etc ... guy came mid afternoon today and fitted new valve ... 'bout 20 mins later pump stops functioning ... reset button ... same happened again ... foned valve fitting guy ... he too busy to come back today ... will come sometime next week ... meanwhile I am afraid of water turning green! ... ?does anyone have experience of a reliable/skilled pool pump engineer who can sort this mess out for me?! ...

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Re: reliable/skilled pool pump engineer?

Postby gavilan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:19 pm

feeling a bit calmer and more optimistic today ... partner spent some hours this morning trying to get this pump working ... eventually he realised that the electricity supply had not been increased from that which serviced the original and smaller pump ie previous pump worked on 3.7, the new and bigger pump needed 6.2 ... we have had pump running for an hour or so and so far it now seems to function well ... dedos cruzados!

Interesting to note that there were no replies to my request for name of a reliable/skilled pump engineer ... ?does that indicate that everyone has problems with such companies?!

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:15 pm

3.2 + 6.7 do not actually tell us anything! I have used Piscinas Mediterraneo before and found them good. The owner/partner is an electrician.
Gerry

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:26 pm

I do not know how else to describe 3.2 increase to 6.7 ... also seems to me it would be more efficient if electrician and plumber came together to identify/sort put problems ... rather than endless visits from each individual ... and neither able to identify what the other has missed!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:06 pm

I'm guessing that you had a 3.2 KW pump running off a C16 Amp circuit breaker and the new pump is a 6.7 KW pump that needs a C32 Amp circuit breaker?
If I am correct I hope they didn't just swap the C16 for a C32 without renewing the wiring from the circuit breaker to the pump?
The circuit breaker is there to protect the wiring.
A C16 circuit would normally have 4.0 mm cable, a C32 circuit 10.00 mm cable.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:07 pm

A good question to ask is why a more powerful pump has been fitted? Didn’t they have the right one in stock? Any fitter upgrading a pump should have asked a few questions like why and is the wiring up to scratch. Changing fitters and companies loses the responsibility to find a solution.

I was going to post yesterday but my internet ip is blacklisted for replying on this forum

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:18 pm

You would have to have a huge pool to need a 6.7 kw pump.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:47 pm

Thinking about it the figures could have been the Horse Power rating of the pumps.
If so, then they would have been 2.4 KW and 5.00 KW pumps.
Still probably oversized for a pool.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:59 pm

I have talked with partner so I may now be able to explain it all a bit better than I did before?! ... to start with I should explain that this splash pool is situated down in the pozo below the old mill here ... and the pump equipment etc is situated several metres above and to the side of this pozo ... the pump which ceased to function recently was 0.8 kw ... the new one is 1.4 kw ... (when this pozo was adapted to make a splash pool a more powerful pump was installed which worked from 2011 until 2 years ago ... then the guy I had working with me replaced original pump with another but less powerful one ... I dont know why he did that ?to save me money?) ... partner tells me the resistancee in amps of old pump was 3.7 and the new one is 6.2 ... he also tells me the electric circuit board with breaker has an adjustable fuse ... which partner has changed from 3.7 to 6.2 as instructed on pump housing ... ... I hope this makes sense now to you guys? ... all a bit technical for me!