Solid core cable

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
voyseygw
Andalucia.com Amigo

Solid core cable

Postby voyseygw » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:45 am

Hi all,
We would like to upgrade our potential in the house to 9 KW and we need to have our installation tested before they will upgrade us. Our house is a mixture of solid core and stranded core cable. Will we have to replace the solid core cables to comply with the new regulation? Also the wiring colour coding is not normal in my consumer unit the wires for instance are both the same color going into a circuit breaker. A number of lighting circuits switch the neutral not the live and an be both the same colour. In writing this down I think I am answering my own question, I probable do need to rewire.
Thanks

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Solid core cable

Postby gerryh » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:03 pm

Yes, you have answered your own question.
Solid core cables definitely need replacing.
Light switches in the live line.
You might be able to get away with putting a piece of appropriate coloured sleeving over the ends of the stranded core cable, assuming they are of the correct sizes for the circuits they supply.
If you still have single pole MCBs then these will need changing to double pole MCBs.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

voyseygw
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby voyseygw » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:58 am

Thanks Gerry!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:23 pm

Before you spend a fortune, have a spanish electrician come out and test it.

You dont 'have' to replace 'solid' cable, in fact 'solid' cable can carry more amps than 'flex' cable.

Yes, its no longer sold on the open market, yes, its outdated. Is it 'prohibited' or 'illegal'? Nope.

But to be honest im not sure if the time it would take would be worth your while - it would take a spark longer to identify cables and change switches than it would to pull new wires thru and then you know everything is good?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.