tapping 6 and 8mm threads in wood

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Parilla
Resident

tapping 6 and 8mm threads in wood

Postby Parilla » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:57 pm

My metric tap and die set which I bought in Spain 15 years ago, and which I have not used for about 12 years, has gone AWOL. I now need to tap some 6mm and some 8mm threads in hardwood, and I am unlikely to need a full set ever again. Anybody know if it is possible to just buy for those two sizes, or have I got to fork out for a new full set. I've got more battery drill/ drivers than you can shake a stick at, so if it is possible to buy drill compatible bits it would be sufficient for me. As an aside, apart from the health aspects, and obviously the effect Covid has had on all country's economy, this situation has pushed me back to a hobby I had loved for many many years, but had somehow lost touch with. That has been very good for me, and also my wife as I disappear to " the shed " for long periods.

Any input from anyone who knows would be appreciated, otherwise it's wallet out time.

Parilla

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: tapping 6 and 8mm threads in wood

Postby olive » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:09 pm

You could try ebay (uk). Or Amazon.

Silverline do them and I think have Spanish outlets.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:01 am

Try your local ferreteria.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:54 pm

Thanks both. Since the original post, I've thought of several other things I could better do by thread tapping, so I've ordered a pukka full set from amazon.es. Eagerly awaiting my new toy.

Parilla