Roots in deposito

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Roots in deposito

Postby bbobandannie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Still getting used to our new place and eventually got round to lifting the trap door over our underground deposito. I was a bit surprised to see a lot of plant roots inside it. Plan is to drain it, jet wash it and remove tge roots. Its not leaking and the roots seem to come through above the water line. Any advice on how to stop the roots coming back and cleaning products?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Roots in deposito

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:20 am

We have an arqueta drain in our bathroom that is plagued by very small fine roots. The drain men that originally came and dug up the floor to deal with the blockage said they are not from trees but are very common growing into drains or underground areas with water. They put weed killer on them then recemented the interior and it was all cleaned out, but still they grow back in much to our annoyance. I'm not sure if you can stop them.

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:30 am

Sounds about right as no plants anywhere near them. Plan is to clean and cut. Im a bit resistant about putting weedkiller in my water supply though🤔😂

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:48 am

Oops, no idea why my reply was invaded by giant emojis
Sorry

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:13 pm

The giant emojis are back :lol:

No I agree it's not a good idea to weedkill them in your water deposito! We tried in our drain but it's not been effective.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:43 am

We had roots in our well, and over the past two decades had them removed on three separate occasions by our local contractor lowering himself some 20m down there. He cut the offending roots and cleared them out of the well, and added weedkiller to the remaining stubs, and blow torched any remaining signs of vegetation. Note that we never drink the well water......

However, each time the roots were back within months, and the only solution was to remove the offending fig tree which was planted next to the well by the original owner....

Result, no more roots in the well, a much higher water level, but no figs. Every action has a reaction, eh?

Heads up.....

Vincent

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Cheers Vincent. The only possible offenders could be a nearby vine which i cant stand so no loss