Concrete slab

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Concrete slab

Postby Rummii » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:16 am

Can anyone shed any light on construction techniques here for replacing concrete floor ....in uk I know you would use a plastic membrane first and pour concrete on top to stop damp rising ....but don’t seem to see that in existing floor ....do they just use liquid waterproofed added to concrete as obviously there is less damp here any help appreciated many thanks

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Concrete slab

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:08 pm

From what we saw when they were building houses around us in the past, it was just concrete poured into an area of shuttering with some steel thrown in straight onto the bare earth. That was in the campo but not sure if urbanisation properties were built much better.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:08 am

Concrete will not be the finished surface will it? If there are to be tiles put over the concrete, either ceramic or lozos de barro, then a dpc can be laid over the concrete and before the tiles go down, taking it part way up the walls before roda de pies go on. Ceramic tiles in themselves are a form of dpc, witness the 1 meter upstand that you find in older houses that acts as a damp proof barrier.

Your original question is not clear to me as you refer to "replacing" concrete floors. The above technique can be used before the walls are built when the dpc can be laid "through" the walls. Just what have you got and what are you trying to achieve?
nil illegitimum carborundum

Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rummii » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:30 pm

I have a collapsed drain beneath an out side utility room so may need to drop all building and rebuild but want it to be water tight as it is connected to house....makes sense about tiled surface ...it’s also against a stone bank too

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:30 am

You'll need to design it won't you? And that will need to take account of its intended use (utility room again?) and the sort of building and location it's in.

It sounds traditional to me from what you say: cavity walls don't exist in Spain as they do in the UK, so a stone bank will allow ground water to contact the wall and penetrate it as well as the floor penetration you're worried about. Such situations, for example in cellars in the UK could use "tanking" to seal it (bitumen lining) but, as I alluded to before, in spain, the norm would be to tile up the walls - certainly against the stone bank - and tile the floor using a ceramic tile and that'll give you the usual Spanish water proofing you'll find in traditional houses.

There's no reason you can't apply UK standards of waterproofing if you wanted to specify that, but you'd find it diffucult to get a Spanish builder to either comprehend it or to do it!

That's my feeling: others will have differing views, so good luck.
nil illegitimum carborundum