Hot water

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Mobylette63
Andalucia.com Amigo

Hot water

Postby Mobylette63 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:08 pm

I am interested to hear what hot water systems people use in the campo, gas bottles or electric? How easy is it to set up gas bottle contract? Go you have and exterior boiler?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Hot water

Postby Wicksey » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:24 pm

We've had gas but I found it tricky to get the shower to keep at the right temperature. I've now got electric which I prefer. However, if I had a big bath to fill then gas is better as it doesn't run out!

Not sure about the gas contract. When we wanted gas tanks we bought them second hand. Once you have a tank you can then swap for full ones at the garage without any problems.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:17 pm

Couple of key considerations .

What electric potencia are you contracted to? Many campo properties have poor quality overhead cables. Our max potencia is 5.5kw. Use too many appliances simultaneously and supply trips. Ele tric water heaters are big consumers of electric.

Second iwhat are you using hot water for? Instantaneous gas heaters are just that. Great if you have been out. You can of course use a timer on your electric heater. One disavantge of gas is lugging bottles around, even the newer lightweight bottles.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:51 am

We use gas bottles. 3 bottles with house when we bought it. 20 ears later still no gas contract. The gas man comes twice a week so never run out. If you haven't got a bottle and don't want a contract car boot or facebook always have empties available.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:32 am

We only have 4.4kw and it never trips out. We have Aircon and usual electric appliances but not an electric cooker. The water heater is 1.5kw and we have it on a timer to come on before we get up in the morning (which isn't very early!). Our old gas heater used to need more maintenance and can be a pain if you have a lot of cal in your water as it gets clogged up.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:32 am

A couple of solar panels with electric backup. You will need space for a 200 or 300 liter tank.
Gerry