Hairline cracks

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Hairline cracks

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:14 am

Time to paint the outside of my house again.
Have a few hairline cracks in the cement render.
Any recommendations for a hairline crack fuller that actually works and lasts for more than a few months?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Hairline cracks

Postby Wicksey » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:54 am

We use acrylic on our outside walls and it lasts pretty well. It comes in tubes like the silicone but acrylic is paintable.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:38 am

"painting over the cracks" :thumbup:

Glad it isn't just me. Am going to start as soon as the weather improves this month. I will give your acrylic a go. A good tip for anything where you are up on a roof e.g. painting chimney or tile eyebrow edges is to use a mattress of foam. I have a 6 foot x 2 ft6 x two inch thick piece of that dense insulation for plasterboard walls. Saves bruising.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:49 pm

Gerry, When painting over hairline cracks I use the same principle as when restoring/ repairing pottery.

The hairline cracks gather dust and dirt so first I spray a little bleach in them , then after a few minutes scrub lightly and spray clean water in them, allow to dry then a light sanding.
When completely dry use the acrylic filler in tubes as suggested by Wicksey, another light sanding then paint.
Now this might sound a bit of a chore, but it does last much longer so really you will save time and money by making the effort.
I'm not sure about Olives idea of lying on a mattress on the roof, I'd probably fall off.. :D :D

May I wish you a 'cracking day'.
Regards,
Gordon

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:11 pm

Problem for old codgers falling asleep? You could always kneel.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:17 pm

Ha Ha....Kneeling not an option with my dodgy knees... :(

I can walk for miles ..no problem...but standing no...so a 30 minute filling cracks job would take me 90 minutes with lots of tea breaks....

Regards,
Gordon...