Pool heat pump usage

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
ashtondav
Resident

Pool heat pump usage

Postby ashtondav » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:10 pm

It’s unlikely we will be over until mid May but can anyone advise on how to get the pool up to temperature (IMO 28C). Is it best to turn it on for 24 continuous hours (for example) or, say 6 hours during the heat of the day. Solar cover on all the time.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pool heat pump usage

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:39 pm

It won't make a lot of difference either way as you are putting the same amount of heat in.

If you are concerned about the cost, make sure you are on a dual tariff and run it only during the off peak period.

Sid

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:36 pm

Sid, I’m with Endesa and am on the 50 hours free tariff. Is there a dual tariff as I haven’t noticed it. I was on the midnight to midday tafiff but didn’t think the price difference worth it.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:12 pm

Almost every company does the DHA dual tariff. The deal is about 60% off for off peak and a small increase on the peak rate. Its almost impossible to lose out on that deal as the off peak rate runs for 14 hours.

The free hourly deal may well be good or even better, it just depends on your usage pattern. At least you are not trying to use a heat pump on the full tariff.

We are heavy consumers and the dual tariff saves us over €700 a year.

Sid

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:03 pm

Which supplier are you with .

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:19 pm

At the moment I am with CEPSA, but they seem to have moved their customers to Godo. Same rates as I was with Iberdrola until they added 34% to my rates. That saved me €1400 versus the increased Iberdrola prices.

I am in the free market as I have a supply greater than 10kw so I have a lot of choice as that market is fiercely competitive so I review the supplier ever 12 months to get the best deal.

You can see all the comparisons here. https://comparador.cnmc.gob.es/

If you are in the normal controlled market the differences are not so great. The trick is to change every year to the best “new customer” offer.

Sid

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:00 am

Cheers. We’re in the normal market.