Pozo negro cesspit or hole in the ground

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Pozo negro cesspit or hole in the ground

Postby Rummii » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:27 pm

Hi all
Help required !

Yes live in the campo and we have the dreaded pozo negro and before you started saying there illegal etc I know ....I’m going to change it when I can but at moment I cannot ....when we first arrived here it worked well (pardon the pun) but now it is failing and after emptying it fills up too fast so i think it’s become waterproof for better a word ie grease etc and chemical breakdown isn’t good either .....I believe there is products available that can be used to rectify this and wondered if you clever people out there knew what they were .....
Many thanks

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pozo negro cesspit or hole in the ground

Postby Enrique » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:16 pm

Hi Rummii,

Mercadona ( there are other Super Markets ).........do some products that are friendly for your hole........

https://buscarprecios.es/pastillas-fosa ... -mercadona

I use the SepClean range (buy on line)............Example

https://www.sepclean.co.uk/product/sepclean/

I've had reports from our area of loads of rain so would expect the the way the water flows underground for it to leak into the hole, the winter of 2009/10 our wells overflowed and the hole also got very high.

Only use friendly cleaners , no grease , pee & poo (bin paper ) speclean once a month and no problems...............

Sid will be along with more advice although he has the real Mcoy........... as per the regs ......... :angel:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:18 pm

Enrique wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:16 pm Hi Rummii,

Mercadona ( there are other Super Markets ).........do some products that are friendly for your hole........
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Choking here, thanks a bunch Enrique :lol: :lol: :lol:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:10 am

Always had the pozo negro here for many years and it's never filled up and couldn't be emptied as they have been sealed and cannot be accessed. I've heard of some filling up as they tend to get rain water in them, so maybe it's the construction and position of it that is the problem. Can you see into it? We have a big problem with very fine roots blocking an internal drain and its exit pipe.

I have no plans on changing ours and it's not even accessible now, so hope I never need a DAFO and a septic tank installed. We are careful what we put down it, never put oily or fatty stuff down the sink and don't overload it with paper either. Ahhh all good fun for us campo people (although also had them in France and the UK .... basically just a hole in the ground).

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:18 am

Enrique wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:16 pm Sid will be along with more advice although he has the real Mcoy........... as per the regs ......... :angel:
Yes, when we built in 2002 the regs were quite clear, it had to be a proper Fosa Septica. Our architect suggested that we install a family size one rather than a smaller one.

We don't dispose of paper separately and just make sure any cleaning products are bio friendly. Never had any smell from the vent pipe and so far haven't needed to empty it.

Sid

Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rummii » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:09 pm

Thanks for replies everyone....
Yes ours was sealed but I had problems when we moved in with dodgy drains and bad manholes and roots etc....
So I firstly had to find it (garden island with palm tree growing above)then cut and put a manhole cover in it
We buy toilet roll now that’s designed for cesspits and yes even though we try to reduce oils etc .....
I always have trouble when it has heavy rains but it doesn’t seem to drop after.
From research and speaking to my guy after emptying he said the oils etc can stop it draining and plus emptying it and some soaps effect breakdown so wanted something to put in to breakdown fats and restart natural breakdown...
Been on link so know the products are they which is good.
Was emptied last week and already three quarters full so it has defo sealed itself and not draining