Muddy water circulating in pool

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
fyfin
Resident

Muddy water circulating in pool

Postby fyfin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:44 pm

I have been looking after a neighbour's pool, rather longer than I had hoped and up to now I haven't had any issues.

However after the recent red rain I was vacuuming as usual (his pool has a separate vacuum point) and I didn't notice until near the end (bright sunlight in my defence) that the dust was coming out of the jets as fast as I hoovered it up.

As I had done my own first and was slightly fed up, I just did the usual backwash and rinse and left it until today. Sure enough the bottom of the pool definitely needed cleaning so I started again but this time kept a close eye and sure enough I had hardly got a quarter of the way along when it started churning out the dirty water again.

I then hoovered to waste as I didn't want to go though that again. I still did the backwash as I always do and I make sure the sight glass is clear before I rinse for about 30 seconds which has always worked before.

Is it possible that the sand in the filter needs changing or could it be something else. I've not used flocculant or done anything different so I'm at a bit of a loss and any help would be appreciated.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Muddy water circulating in pool

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:48 pm

I had this problem years ago when the road outside our house was a dirt track. The very fine dust that blew over into the pool was too fine for the sand filter to remove it. From then on we always vacuumed to waste.

Sand filters are not very efficient when it comes to very fine particles. You can try using a floculante ( liquid preferably) or I now use a blue gel which you put in the pool pump filter.

https://www.amazon.es/Jolly-Pool-Clarif ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

After 24 hours of circulation you will have Crystal clear water.

Sid

ashtondav
Resident

Re: Muddy water circulating in pool

Postby ashtondav » Mon May 03, 2021 1:32 pm

You may need new filter or sand or the more modern stuff. After installing my water was amazing!