Destruction of pump house by fire - faulty pump??

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
fyfin
Resident

Destruction of pump house by fire - faulty pump??

Postby fyfin » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:08 am

My friend and neighbour has had a huge fire as you can see by the photo. He is quite upset as he is 84 years old and worried that the insurance might not pay. It happened yesterday evening just after he had gone to bed and no idea how it happened.
The insurance company Liberty Seguros has been informed but so far no one has been to look at it.

I just wondered if anyone has any idea as to what could have caused this. He has someone look after his pool but it's not a proper registered company and I have been round his before and noticed, for example, that there was no chlorine in the floater and the pool was going green. I was able to sort it in a short time but putting the 5 in 1 tablets in the floater and inside 5 hours with the pump on, it was clear.

I'm just wondering if a left was left in the wrong position or if somehow the pump was running dry. It should have tripped though, I would have thought, but he's not sure if he just flicked the trip switch as it trips now and again for no reason.

A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Destruction of pump house by fire - faulty pump??

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:56 am

it should of tripped the breaker as soon as the cable started melting.. that got a tad warm in there... i hope they dont try and blame the pool man :eek:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Destruction of pump house by fire - faulty pump??

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:37 pm

I imagine that Liberty will send out an assessor, as they always have with us in the past. Presumably he will reach his own conclusion as to the cause of the fire and whether they will cover it or not.