Replacing pool light - easy but putting it back??

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
fyfin
Resident

Replacing pool light - easy but putting it back??

Postby fyfin » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:15 pm

The pool light wasn't working so I assumed the bulb had gone and took it out to have a look, removing the one screw at the top etc. No poblem and discovered it was corroded wire which had snapped off so pared it done, re-done it and tested all working fine.
Then the fun commenced as although there is one screw at the top there is also a bracket at the bottom which it slots into and no matter how often I tried I couldn't get it to slot in, partly because it's hard to do underwater and the cable kept getting in the way.
I noticed the bit that slots in is held on by a nut and I didn't know if it has to be loosened first or is there some trick to it that someone can tell me.
Otherwise it'll sit there with the top screw in and the bottom part sticking out and moving from side to side.
Any help appreciated.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

northandsouth
Resident

Re: Replacing pool light - easy but putting it back??

Postby northandsouth » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:50 am

It's a knack, and I have always struggled like you are.
I've replaced a fair few and it can be a faff particularly in the deep end with your legs flailing around. I use a ladder where necessary to get extra purchase. Then you drop the screw :x which of course isn't magnetic cos it's stainless.
At least the new LED ones are fairly light and sealed.
The nightmare scenario is when you get to remove a lamp and the cable is too short to get the lamp out of the water :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :cry: :roll:

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:01 am

Thank you, yes I discovered some screws aren't magnetic lol so the extending magnet was no use. The bulb is halogen and expensive but I thought I couldn't replace everything with led because they're 12V and I thought mine was 220V but my mate reckons it wouldn't be.
He said it would be too dangerous and that there would be a transformer in the panel but I'm not clever enough to know whether there is or not. Might have to get an expert in lol.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:08 pm

Can't believe that your underwater pool lights are fed with 220 volts. Most likely there's a transformer knocking it down to 12v.
Regards

Bob

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:12 pm

Well, I hope so otherwise I'll have to send my wife in next time. lol

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:37 pm

Now there's a smart man.. Take it that you have no children.

Is there no voltage rating printed on the old bulb?
Regards

Bob

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:31 pm

Lol. Funny but I was going to get my son to sort it next time he visits. He can open his eyes under water and I can't.
I can't remember the rating and I threw the box away but I know it was expensive at €11.25 , small halogen.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:39 am

Pool lighting always has a transformer normally outputting 12V

In the old days the pool lamps were similar to an old sealed beam car headlight and they needed a concave cut out in the pool wall to sit in along with a chunky transformer elsewhere, chunky because of the high bulb wattage, the lens was glass and the bulb generated lots of heat.

LEDs and smaller halogen bulbs mean the lamps are now slimmer and can be attached to the flat side of a pool, the transformers can be much smaller because of the lower wattage, and the cables between the transformer and the pool lamp can be much thinner of course.

We always install remote wireless switching so that the pool lights can be switched on and off from where the client wishes rather than rummaging about for the switch in the pool pump room, plus with a remote and LED technology you have the option of multi coloured lighting.