Pool heating

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Pool heating

Postby olive » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:30 pm

This is a subject that comes up from time to time on the forum and indeed in our household.

The idea is to extend the season. We are going to invest in a pool cover to retain heat. For that I reckon 200 euros for the winding drum and maybe 8 euros a sq m for the’ bubble wrap.’

Now to heating. 5x10 m and 80 or more cu m of water. A few years back we tried a DIY solution of 50 m of black pipe teed into the circulation. It sort of worked but was a nuisance.

Things have moved on hopefully over the recent years. We only have a 5.5 kw supply and a 1 hp pool pump will use a chunk of that but electric heating is a possibility. Solar panels on a “pergola “ that could act as a car port might be an idea.

Anyone have pool heating or seen a place that does them? I don’t mind travelling .

What are the possibilities?

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pool heating

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:21 pm

Probably too expensive an option, but we decided on a telescopic polycarbonate cover which was fantastic - swimming at night without dodging insects & being able to dry off out of any wind was great :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:25 pm

Using a heat pump will work well but you will need more than a 5.5 Kw supply.

Solar panels or an improvement on your irrigation pipe system will be a lot cheaper.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:49 am

Hmm. Upgrading the electric supply no doubt would fall on the householders shoulders. At least 500 metres of overhead twisted light cable and no doubt change wooden poles to shiny pylons. So apart from the sheer cost would go against the grain. A neighbour wanted their single phase bell wire supply upgrading to 5.5 kw and they were quoted 4000 for three poles .

So that leaves running an under powered heat pump in overnight when usage of other electrical items is lower. Not very satisfactory. I believe that a 5.5 kw is the right size for a 5 by 10 pool . Or the solar panels over a car port which would provide shade. Just need to find someone doing that.

I have seen the polycarbonate sliding cover. I assumed that they don’t do much actual heating just stop heat escaping so much. We would rule one out on aesthetics ( having to look at it fro twelve months) reduced area of terrace. One joy is being in the pool while swallows or later bats are drinking on the wing. A cover would limit that. Insects have never been a problem for us. Inland , altitude, lack of nearby surface water?

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:25 pm

I understand what you are saying, but the beauty of the telescopic cover is that you can have as many or as few sections open as you like, so you can still look up at the stars ! You are right in that it doesn't actually heat the pool, but it sure keeps it in !!
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:41 pm

olive wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:30 pm This is a subject that comes up from time to time on the forum and indeed in our household.

Now to heating. 5x10 m and 80 or more cu m of water. A few years back we tried a DIY solution of 50 m of black pipe teed into the circulation. It sort of worked but was a nuisance.

Things have moved on hopefully over the recent years. We only have a 5.5 kw supply and a 1 hp pool pump will use a chunk of that but electric heating is a possibility. Solar panels on a “pergola “ that could act as a car port might be an idea.

Anyone have pool heating or seen a place that does them? I don’t mind travelling .

What are the possibilities?

50m, wow. Our solar system has approx 750 metres of pipe...
Regards

Bob

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:32 pm

We didn’t have a suitable space for anymore pipe.