Renovating

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Jamesbop

Renovating

Postby Jamesbop » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:18 am

I purchased a property in Fornes as a holiday home which needs fully renovating. I'm a kitchen and bathroom installer myself but don't have time to do much of the work myself unfortunately.
I'm employing English trades that are resident for fully rewiring, new connection with meter relocated, new water connection, plastering, roof repair etc
Couple of questions though
I will be coming out to do some work ie fit the kitchen and bathrooms. 2 weeks max
When travelling in my van via santander whats the deal with import tax on belongings?
I'll have all my tools, plumbing fittings etc in the van along with some of our existing household goods ie beds, small furniture, American fridge /freezer.
New items like kitchen cabinet doors I understand I can value but what to do about our belongings?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Renovating

Postby costakid » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:56 am

Jamesbop wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:18 am I purchased a property in Fornes as a holiday home which needs fully renovating. I'm a kitchen and bathroom installer myself but don't have time to do much of the work myself unfortunately.
I'm employing English trades that are resident for fully rewiring, new connection with meter relocated, new water connection, plastering, roof repair etc
Couple of questions though
I will be coming out to do some work ie fit the kitchen and bathrooms. 2 weeks max
When travelling in my van via santander whats the deal with import tax on belongings?
I'll have all my tools, plumbing fittings etc in the van along with some of our existing household goods ie beds, small furniture, American fridge /freezer.
New items like kitchen cabinet doors I understand I can value but what to do about our belongings?
You may be hit with the vat element of any new goods if you get stopped which you probably will if in a van. Not sure about used goods. A friend purchased a wood burner in the uk to bring over in the back of his Range Rover, got a random stop at French side and had to pay the vat on the goods before allowed to leave. Seems to be the loophole now is bringing/sending high value items over in a foreign plated vehicle. There are some Lithuanian transport companies apparently who bring goods over for Brits to avoid the vat.

Jamesbop

Postby Jamesbop » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:47 am

Thanks for that, I can't see how they would be able to put a value on used/secondhand items.
Fair enough on new items I can provide proof of purchase though

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:30 pm

Jamesbop wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:47 am Thanks for that, I can't see how they would be able to put a value on used/secondhand items.
Fair enough on new items I can provide proof of purchase though

Are you vat registered in the UK? if so claim the vat back otherwise since we are a 3rd country you may well end up paying the vat twice. Once in the UK and once in the EU.

Jamesbop

Postby Jamesbop » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:15 pm

I am vat registered here in UK so this maybe an option.

I've read in a few places as I'd be bringing my own van and contents Id get charged vat on everything!! How can this be as I'm only moving tools to and from my own houses

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:23 pm

via Rosslare...

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:59 pm

Jamesbop wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:15 pm I am vat registered here in UK so this maybe an option.

I've read in a few places as I'd be bringing my own van and contents Id get charged vat on everything!! How can this be as I'm only moving tools to and from my own houses
Since Brexit they make the rules up daily. It depends on the day.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:20 am

I'm surprised by that comment. It was clear to anyone who bothered to look beyond the mostly pro-Brexit rags, that a weak deal which took us out of the single market and customs union would mean border controls and the reintroduction of duties.
I seemed to remember when people voiced their concerns over this very point, we were told that the Germans would want to protect their own interests.
We now can not be surprised when customs are now enforcing the rules. If someone doesn't get stopped, I would put that down to luck.
I have no idea about the rules for already used tools etc, so it will be interesting to know how James gets on, Using my iPad as an example, I wouldn't expect to pay duty on it every time I crossed a customs border.

Jamesbop

Postby Jamesbop » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:59 pm

How would you agree a price for duty on your used ipad may I ask? I have approx £10k in tools if replacing with new, some are probably 10 years old though so worth 🤷

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:18 pm

Jamesbop wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:59 pm How would you agree a price for duty on your used ipad may I ask? I have approx £10k in tools if replacing with new, some are probably 10 years old though so worth 🤷
when your buying tools your buying work...