Air conditioning unit drain pipe

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
RaybertK
Tourist

Air conditioning unit drain pipe

Postby RaybertK » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:08 pm

Hi Everyone,
I would like some advice, suggestions or ideas about installing an air conditioner unit in my 70m2 property in Torrox pueblo.
I would like to install the internal fan unit in my living room ( which is at the front of the house) on outside wall, above the front door. I would like to install the external condenser unit at the back of the house outside my bedroom window or on the the roof terrace ( which is also at the back of the house).
Would it be possible to run the pipework/wiring between both units in the roof space void that is between the ceiling and roof, which I have access to.
Also the "drain pipe " that comes out of the internal fan unit ( to remove excessive condensation build up ) can I run that through the roof space void to the back of the house or would I have to drill a hole on the living room external wall ( next to the fan unit) for the "drain pipe".This would mean plastic pipework at the the front of the house.
Any help or suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks Ray.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Air conditioning unit drain pipe

Postby costakid » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:07 pm

We used Klima central in Torre del Mar for ours. They came out and did an onsite survey free of charge. Very neat workers.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:11 am

Hi Ray
What you suggest seems OK to me.
I have fitted 4 aircon units in my house so I do have some experience.
Your suggestion for the drain pipe is very sensible. It needs a gentle slope all the way from the internal unit to the outside. If it doesn't slope then there is a strong possibility of the water leaking from the internal unit and running down the wall beneath the unit.
There is a catch tray inside the unit to catch the condensation which should drain away via the pipe.
It happened to me. :oops:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:34 pm

Ray, I've only got one internal unit in the sleeping quarters' hallway. The installers ran the drain pipe through an internal wall into the adjoining bathroom and down the tiled wall into the shower bath. Otherwise I would have faced a similar situation to you i.e. running it out through an external wall.

Saludos