Brown pool

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Brown pool

Postby olive » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:41 pm

The same here too. Quite disheartening. I am hoping the house exterior walls will come clean with low power pressure washing.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:52 pm

I'm hoping that's it for a while .
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:43 pm

Whether you can wash it off depends on how fresh the existing paint is. We have a perimeter wall, most of which was repainted this year. Another section hasn’t been painted for about 10 years. The new paint cleaned up easily but the old paint did not.

Most of the affected areas on the house are old paint so I am planning a complete repaint which was due anyway.

A very expensive dust storm!

Sid

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:22 pm

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:39 pm

I shall be using 90% of all the water that has fallen to clean our hacienda.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:35 pm

This lot is worse than the first lot. It is stuck on fast onto the terraces and is so sticky I have almost slipped over on it a couple of times. I can see we'll have to repaint, although it was due to be done this year. Thankfully, we don't have a lot of walls to do, just two sides of the house and as we have that horrible crazypaving on the bottom half of the wall and it is only single storey, it's not a vast area. We'll be getting the power washer out tomorrow I think for the terraces.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:14 am

there is a certain irony to this rain ... yes the land badly needs it ... but then we go and squander it on pressure washing walls and patios etc ... to be regretted later in the year when drinking water is rationed?!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:22 am

Ok gavilan. I won’t pressure wash. I buy the paint and you come and apply it. Win win. :lolno:

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:46 am

olive: thanks for your offer/suggestion but methinks if I apply white paint on top of red/brown dust/clay/mud you wont get a white wall but only a paler version of what's there now!

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:42 am

Finally a clean pool. I hoovered what I could even though I couldn't see the head of the cleaner lol. Then I got some flocculant granules and googled how to use them. Previously I had just chucked some in the pool with the pump off but that is not what you're supposed to do apparently so I followed instructions - dissolve the granules in warm water and then spread around the pool with the pump on circulate. I guess liquid flocculant would have worked in the same way. I left the pump on circulate for about an hour and then left it off overnight. The next morning I was amazed and relieved to see it had done what it said in the tin, the dust etc had all gone to the bottom and the water was relatively clear so then vacuumed to waste again. Then put more water in the pool and finally ran a backwash for 5 minutes until the sight glass was clear and finally a rinse.
Now, on timed filtration and looking good.
Now, please no more red rain!!!
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it