Clearing up the mud

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
ashtondav
Resident

Clearing up the mud

Postby ashtondav » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:24 am

Obviously all our walls unprotected by guttering will need painting. I assume before this they will need to be cleaned or washed. DAK just how much cleaning needs to be done to avoid the paint simply flaking off the dusty surface?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Clearing up the mud

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:48 pm

We've found that you do really need to remove as much of the staining as possible ,otherwise it shows through when you repaint and if it's dealt with promptly it does seem to stop flaking.
I suggest wash as much off as possible with a hose or jet washer then stubborn marks come off easily by using Ajax-Vim powder or liquid cleaner, but important to wash down again after...
Have Fun !!
Saludos,
Gordon
Last edited by BENIDORM on Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:33 pm

Had a go at a part of my wall.
Hose had no effect whatsoever.
A pressure washer with a turbo lance removed the dried on dust.
It's going to be a long slow process before all my walls are clean
If the pressure washer removes some of the paint then it needs removing anyway before you can repaint.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:35 pm

The areas we power washed have still got a residue of mud on them after it had dried out. It seems that only by scrubbing, we could get the mud off (the cars included). I think all the paint will come off if we clean up too much so we're leaving it for now. Luckily we have yellow painted walls so it's doesn't look as bad at the houses that were previously white. I've seen ads for people who will power wash the mud from your house and terraces, and repaint if necessary. Some companies will be rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of all this redecorating to come!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:25 pm

Wicksey wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:35 pm The areas we power washed have still got a residue of mud on them after it had dried out. It seems that only by scrubbing, we could get the mud off (the cars included). I think all the paint will come off if we clean up too much so we're leaving it for now. Luckily we have yellow painted walls so it's doesn't look as bad at the houses that were previously white. I've seen ads for people who will power wash the mud from your house and terraces, and repaint if necessary. Some companies will be rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of all this redecorating to come!
Yellow walls! Genius! Thx for the other tips. Not got time to pressure wash before leaving so will leave it til May.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:51 pm

https://www.surinenglish.com/malaga/sil ... 03-nt.html

A bonus for the painting companies.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:50 pm

We made a start power washing today. As gerry says, it is ggoing to be a long. process.

phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby phototext » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:27 pm

Power washers can just spread the muck around. A stiff brush to gather the dry mud then a hose then a mop can be effective. I sprayed the walls with detergent then hosed with some success. But high walls I can’t reach a problem. Too old for high ladders.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:24 pm

I have been cautious about cleaning anything ... partly cos didnt want to waste water and partly cos not sure if the rain forecast this coming week is going to bring more calima ... but have cleaned a few odd bitsnpieces ... I have an old wooden table in the garden (made from a section of chestnut wood) 1.25m x .75m ... it was obviously covered in the mud ... no probs I thought ...let it dry then throw a bucket of water over it and brush it down ... well. that didnt work!!! ... the mud had stuck fast like glue!!! ... it took a packet of brillo pads and a lot of elbow grease before I had it clean! ... seems to me it's no ordinary clay/mud!!! ...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:55 pm

That's the problem, gavilan, it needs scrubbing as even the power wash did not get it off. The rain the other day was a bit cleaner and it did help wash some more off but it is still stuck like glue to things like the gates, and even some metal poles that support the sun blind are just streaked and thick in brown clay. There's a limit to how much we can do. Looking at the state of our metal gates, I'm just glad we don't have rejas!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:36 pm

Hard and messy graft. We are half way through our cleaning schedule.

Power washers are great but expose weakness in paint. I tadged up an extension pole with a brace and strapped the power washer on. Quite hard work waving over your head. The Karcher tool no doubt works well but at 200 euros so it should! Plenty of others in our village also power washing.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:59 pm

Not looking forward to coming over at Easer to see the house, just hoping it's not too bad. Last year we intended having the the house and and all the iron work painted, so glad we put off till this year, i guess we will have a big clean up job first and apart from the many other jobs we intended to do i can see it's going to be a very busy 2 weeks. Who said having a holiday home was fun! :lol:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:47 am

olive wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:36 pm Power washers .... The Karcher tool no doubt works well
I assume you have a pressure washer and not a power washer?
They are different.
Need a pressure washer to clean the embedded muck.
Do you have a Turbo lane for your Karcher washer?
They are much better than the standard lance.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:14 am

Well just arrived after 10 hour drive from Santander and what a shock. The railings have a nice deep clay/mud top on them. I have never seen windows so dirty. I think we have 3 or 4 days work cleaning this. We did bring 50 yellow microfibre cloths with us and they are brilliant for this type of work.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:16 am

Good tip costakid, i'm off shopping today to buy some :thumbup:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:55 am

gerryh wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:47 am
olive wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:36 pm Power washers .... The Karcher tool no doubt works well
I assume you have a pressure washer and not a power washer?
They are different.
Need a pressure washer to clean the embedded muck.
Do you have a Turbo lane for your Karcher washer?
They are much better than the standard lance.
Cheers
Gerry
Normally it is just an age thing. I haven’t studied the subject enough to know the difference between power and pressure. I thought they were the same thing! We had a very old Woolworths washer which we gave to a neighbour for cleaning his tractor. We got a Karcherk4 with a variety of tools. We only use the lance that twists to adjust . Mix, soft, hard. On the latter setting it is very effective. I wish the trigger had a catch for permanently on. That is easily achieved with a strap or bungee. I can see why the manufacturer doesn’t fit one but your hand would hurt after a two hour stint.

Just got one patio left to do.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:27 am

Pamela1 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:16 am Good tip costakid, i'm off shopping today to buy some :thumbup:
Costco in packs of 36 or 100. I think £17 with the vat for 36 in yellow.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:29 am

I am standing here wondering where to start. I think floor then windows, walls and ironwork then floor again at the end.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:32 pm

Sounds horrendous, im realy not looking forward to it all.We have iron railings all around the pool area, at least 40. mtrs in total, 2 large double iron gates, 3 other gates.Windows and garage door, not to mention all out side house walls and pool walls, i envisage a nightmare next week when we get there..OTH is going to speak to his brother and ask how bad it is, if he says its pretty dirty then he will ask him if he knows of any casual workers who want to earn some cash..Can't see him wanting to spend all of his time there cleaning when he already planned to finish building a return stone wall, there certainly wont be time to do both cleaning and building. I expect you will be sitting relaxing when i'm just making a start costakid.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:51 pm

I hope so Pamela. The terrace, iron work and windows on the back have taken 2 of us 5 hours today. A tip for you, loads if fairy liquid in a bowl of water, wet the white walls with a hose and then sponge them and rinse with a hose, they come up like new. The iron work is a bit harder, stiff brush it off, wash and rinse but hard work. Now a glass of vino is awaiting.