Cost of changing sand in pool filter.

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
fyfin
Resident

Cost of changing sand in pool filter.

Postby fyfin » Fri May 06, 2022 12:06 pm

We have a small pool on the roof in our apartment block and we pay a guy monthly to maintain it. He's just said it'll cost €450 + iva to change the sand which seems a bit steep. He's contracted by the Administrators but as President I suppose I could change that , however, I don't have any idea what it should cost. The pool is about 10 mtrs x 6 mtrs. basically a plunge pool I suppose.
We paid last year to have a chlorinator installed, I assumed something that automatically chlorinates the pool instead of tablets and regular checks but it seems it needs to be replaced as well at a cost of €246 + iva.

Are we being taken for a ride??

Any ideas welcomed.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cost of changing sand in pool filter.

Postby Wicksey » Sat May 07, 2022 9:16 am

10x6m sounds like a good sized private pool to me (although I realise it is a communal pool). Houses we have lived in with proper pools have been 10x5 and 10 x3m so anyone on here with a pool may know about changing the sand. The sand in itself is very cheap, just a few euros but it is a horrible job removing the old stuff in order to replace it. Knowing how much our builder or gardener charge for a day's work, that sound like about 4 days he's charging, which does seem OTT.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat May 07, 2022 9:44 am

Yes I think the Administrators have people they use and there's not much control or concern about costs. I'm going to get them to get quotes from other companies.
I just asked a tradesman I know who also does pool cleaning here how much he would charge me. Our pool is slightly smaller and he said €95 .
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat May 07, 2022 7:42 pm

Worth paying someone to do it, it is one of the foulest jobs and depending on access to filter difficult too.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat May 07, 2022 9:23 pm

Lyric wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:42 pm Worth paying someone to do it, it is one of the foulest jobs and depending on access to filter difficult too.
Absolutely agree. My friend wishes he had lol. Sand everywhere

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 08, 2022 6:57 pm

The wet sand tears your fingerprints off, and rubber gloves only last a few seconds - deffo worth paying for!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.