Power sockets with USB chargers

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Power sockets with USB chargers

Postby Screagle » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:14 pm

I'm toying with the idea of replacing some wall sockets throughout the home with new plates that incorporate USB slots for charging devices as part of an electrical update. The go to brand seems to be Simon but they are pretty punchy price wise. Has anybody undertaken this work and has experience to share? I will be using an electrician...

Saludos

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Power sockets with USB chargers

Postby olive » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:56 pm

Are they for Apple products?

I had decided yet another charging cable had gone faulty ( the long ones from Ikea) but thought I would try it with an apple transformer/plug and it worked. The ten euro twin adapter you plug into a socket doesn’t quite produce the right output anymore. Fine on none Apple products……

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:46 am

Thanks olive - good point.

We are an Android and Apple household. I've just looked at the back of a working Apple branded charger and it is rated at 5.0W, 5.OV and 1.0A so that's what I'll be looking for. Alas, both Simon and Leroy Merlin web-sites omit this technical data from their product sheets. I feel an Atención al Cliente email coming on...

Saludos

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:53 am

I’m in London at the moment and the hotel has them. They do seem to work quite well. Having said that, I would hold it for a while because we are in a transition period, moving to USB C.
Apple have already changed over for IPads and it look likes the new IPhone will also have them. As far as I know other makes are already using them. You are right to worry about power because newer laptops are also charged using USB C.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:23 am

Right you are, Mark. As and when all devices are marketed with USB-C ports I would expect to continue using a USB 2.0 socket cable with a USB-C connector to charge compatible devices unless the EU is outlawing USB 2.0 as well!

Saludos