Trades People in Velez Malaga needed

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Sunsational

Trades People in Velez Malaga needed

Postby Sunsational » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:55 pm

Hi, I am looking for contact details for a reliable trades person to quote to replace our damaged front door to a villa in the Arenas area. People recommended through experience would be appreciated. Many thanks.

JTSpain

Re: Trades People in Velez Malaga needed

Postby JTSpain » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:46 pm

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and will soon be new to Arenas. Were you able to find trades people in the area? We also intend to install a new door.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:11 am

We get this newsletter every day by email but you can just browse through the editions online. I've bought and sold stuff through it as well which has been useful too:
https://digamextra.com/2023/06/27/digam ... 27th-2023/

Otherwise there are various free mags at the beginning of each month you can pick up in the area, Sentinilla, The Grape Vine, possibly Soltalk and Insight. Not sure how far they cover but we pick them up in various estate agents and businesses around Torrox. If you Google them I think some are online and they have ads for trades people in them. When you are more established here then speak to neighbours to get an idea of recommendations (and those to avoid!).

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:12 pm

It's always better to speak to neibours and one of them will know someone.

If you contact a random from a magazine you never know what they are like.

Chances are that you'll be charged alot more if a brit does it too.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:23 pm

From our experiences over many years I'm afraid the local Spanish builders here are just cowboys. They have ripped off our neighbour and done such shoddy work that he has had to call in other people to fix things. The English plumber we have used is properly qualified and does excellent and tidy work. He went to our neighbour last month and he said how professional he is and so different from the quality of work the local builders have done. The Spanish working on his house have thrown all their rubbish down the hillside so our neighbour will have to go and retrieve it. We see it all the time here, any work done on the track ends up with plastic piping etc just left on the road. The English builder we use does employ Spanish workers but he did a very good and tidy job at our house last year. I would go by recommendations if you can, of course, but it's difficult if you are new here and don't know anyone.

Francis
Tourist

Postby Francis » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:36 pm

We have always found Spanish tradesmen excellent. But sadly when we used tradesmen that got their qualifications from "The University of Malaga Airport"they overcharged for the work and not very good,once bitten twice shy.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:52 am

If you find a reliable company then that's good, whatever their nationality. Swedish neighbours were badly ripped off by a Swedish builder and I'm not saying there's no UK cowboy builders about, but the English workers we have used are well established and been here years.

I can only speak from our 20 odd years experience of Spanish workman after living in the same area. We've had plumbers that used my bath mat to wipe up the 'spills' after removing a toilet, workers at a house we rented obviously never possessed a ladder as they stood on our wooden dining chairs to plaster walls and never covered any of our furniture up at all. When our woodburner needed fitting, without a word to us they suddenly made a huge hole in the chimney breast to access the flue and mixed up plaster on a board on our wood laminate floor to repair the hole! The living room ended up filthy with soot and plaster everywhere, and they were from a well established company that made and installed woodburners. It's just all very unprofessional. We've had English painters in this house and they moved the furniture and brought dust sheets to cover everything, and left the place spotless, which is how we expect tradesmen to work. Local recommendations are best which is why I included the link to the local newsletter in my earlier post where you can ask for recommendations and read other people's. I am happy to contact people privately and say if we have had a good experience (or bad, something you can't do publicly via the newsletter).