Wall tiles falling off ?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Wall tiles falling off ?

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:06 am

Hello everyone,

In this house that we have bought there are random tiles that have come loose and fallen off, it looks like the tile adhesive hasn't adhered to the tile, there's blobs of it stuck to the walls tho.

What's the best idea, over the kitchen and bathroom it's probably 20 tiles total.

I see they haven't grouted in-between the tiles, so any movement in the house is going to pop tiles I suppose? As we have had a massive leak repaired behind the house, I imagine that the ground underneath is starting to dry out and cause a few mm of movement in the building?

We have noticed a couple of hairline cracks appearing where there were none before so that's what makes me think about the movement
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Re: Wall tiles falling off ?

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:07 am

I imagine I should chip away some / all of the 'blobs' and re-lay the tiles one at a time, starting from the lower ones ?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:20 pm

You could relay them but surely you need to address the reason why they fell off in the first place? Was the wall damp and it needs to dry out fully before trying to stick them back perhaps? Or be sure that any movement has stopped after the flooding you had before trying. I know that sometimes they only put one blob of cement to stick up a tile, so not the best method I would have thought.

How is it going with the neighbour's dogs SL?

Supersue
Tourist

Postby Supersue » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:11 pm

Spanish lad you need to chisel those "blobs" off. Dotting and Dabbing is a definite nono when fitting wall tiles. Previous owner of our house used that method in our kitchen and in cold weather when cooking and creating steam you can see where the dabs are through the tiles. Tell your supplier you want adhesive for kitchen and bathroom tiles because there are different types. Spread the adhesive with a notched trowel and don't rush to grout. Give it time to dry.So says my OH.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:48 am

Wicksey wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:20 pm You could relay them but surely you need to address the reason why they fell off in the first place? Was the wall damp and it needs to dry out fully before trying to stick them back perhaps? Or be sure that any movement has stopped after the flooding you had before trying. I know that sometimes they only put one blob of cement to stick up a tile, so not the best method I would have thought.

How is it going with the neighbour's dogs SL?
Thanks Wicksey, theres no damp at all on the wall behind, its gotta be the movement / lack of grout (and i´m not retiling the whole room, yet :wtf: )

The neibours dogs.. well, sometimes you hardly hear them, and its bliss... other days, they bark and howl and the missus looses her voice shouting at them.

Supersue wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:11 pm Spanish lad you need to chisel those "blobs" off. Dotting and Dabbing is a definite nono when fitting wall tiles. Previous owner of our house used that method in our kitchen and in cold weather when cooking and creating steam you can see where the dabs are through the tiles. Tell your supplier you want adhesive for kitchen and bathroom tiles because there are different types. Spread the adhesive with a notched trowel and don't rush to grout. Give it time to dry.So says my OH.
Thanks for the advice, Mr Supersue, I shall have a go. My local supplier would be Melchor but i assume that Bricomart would be cheaper (and its near work, so I might go there and ask them).