Replacing a solar heated water tank

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Trooperman
Resident

Replacing a solar heated water tank

Postby Trooperman » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:12 pm

We have, in our village, poor quality water: loads of corrosive "cal" (as they call it) that eats away at joints in metal water systems. About 3 years ago I had to spend arounf 1400 euros on a new solar placa and water tank and all the associated electrical work (for the immersion heater for when the sun don't shine!) and a crane to get it all up on the roof and the old one off, etc etc. OUCH!

It came from Bricomart and is still in their catalogue at 875 euros.

It's started leaking again around the hot water exit pipe/joint and the plumber tells me its the village curse again and I need another. DOUBLE OUCH!

Most places I look, the placa and tank seems to come as one unit......which would need a crane again.....and I guess it might just be a trifle more bother for a plunber to work out a repair/replacement tank than to go to Bricomart for an all-in-one box!

My question to anyone who might know about such things is whether a tank alone can be procured to replace the corroded one as there seems nothing wrong with the solar panel itself.

Anyone had similar problems and alternative solutions?
nil illegitimum carborundum

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Replacing a solar heated water tank

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:19 pm

Are you able to fit some sort of filter before the water tank? We have a huge amount of cal (large flakes of it) that we catch in a filter before it comes into the house. We also have some crystals in another filter that do help reduce cal deposits (barely anything on the taps or in the kettle for instance). If we didn't use the filters I think most of our appliances would have given up by now.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:25 pm

Got all that! Two filters on the input into the house - one with a fibre insert and the other with what looks like crushed ice! I also have a water softener that takes salt tablets......but it still happens!
nil illegitimum carborundum

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:12 pm

That is bad Trooperman. We used to have a water softener in the UK and the water was like silk. What a pain. I hope you find an easier and cheaper solution to repair the panel.