Leaking pool

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Leaking pool

Postby Lyric » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:28 pm

Pool was impossible to clean post calima so decided to drain it and start again.
About half way through pumping to waste the drain blocked quite possibly near he shut-off valve as it's a pretty straight run.
I got a submersible sewage pump (for the big bits) and minimised the level.
It's an old pool and without water the tiles started falling off. With my tame tiler we decided the only solution was a re-tile.
All the tiles have been removed leaving an in-ground concrete shell.

THE QUESTION

Last night I irrigated the garden adjacent to the pool, and this morning there is a slow leak from underneath almost at the middle and running down to the deep end.
Seems to me that with a full pool the seep will be reversed and I will have a leaking pool.

I am open to solutions.

Trooperman
Resident

Re: Leaking pool

Postby Trooperman » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:47 am

These are only thoughts you understand:

Is there any obvious crack or fissure visible in the concrete?.....would need "caulking"

Is the joint area between the floor and the walls where it leaks?....difficult to fix

A concrete shell (subject to above) will then have a tile (impervious) and a tile adhesive (impervious) and a grout (impervious) on top of the concrete and as a barrier between said concrete and water.......... Shouldn't be a problem

Having said all that, the drain itself might become a problem in that the pipework might be damaged somewhere almost inaccessable without major excavations and a leak result so you might have to block off the drain and rely, in future, on your sludge pump for emptyimg.

I feel your pain/indecision as I had to keep an old pool servicable for 15 years before I moved house!

Best wishes
nil illegitimum carborundum

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:07 pm

I have never previously drained the pool in 13 years. If rain (you remember that) took the level too high then I would just pump to waste to get the level normal, usually via the skimmer.

I think the drain pipe is 2m down with two bends round the pool and then a straight run to the drain valve about 9m.

Strangely we were on the cusp of the market when the Calima struck and subsequently have had the house jet washed, then repainted getting the pool crystal was the last task. Turned to expense ......

Thanks for thoughts.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:28 pm

Yes! I lkearned that the chlorine we used damaged cheap pipework. I replaced the skimmer hose.....and that was about 3ft down....so I earnestly suggest that if the same has happened with your drain hose, you leave it!!
Best of luck¬
nil illegitimum carborundum