Replacing a circuit breaker

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Replacing a circuit breaker

Postby Screagle » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:45 pm

Hi

The circuit breaker shown no longer stays in the 'On' position no matter how slowly I push it up. Time to replace it me thinks!

It is for the oven circuit (ring?) and as the oven is rarely used it's not too much of a problem except having to light the gas hobs manually. Anyway, has anyone out there replaced one of these blocks themselves or it is a job for an electricista?

Saludos
Circuit breaker.jpg

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Replacing a circuit breaker

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:05 pm

Possibly I doesn't stay up because there is a fault in the circuit?
Easy enough to check. Switch the power off at the main switch.
Try switching the suspect circuit breaker on, if it doesn't stay up then it is faulty.
If it stays up, switch on the power at the main switch.
Then if the circuit breaker trips, you have a fault on that circuit.

Replacing the circuit breaker is easy BUT MAKE SURE YOU SWITCH THE POWER OFF AT THE MAIN SWITCH BEFORE YOU REPLACE IT:.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:48 pm

Thanks, Gerry - I'm pretty sure we checked with the power off and the MCB is definitely faulty. It's not the first time one of these GE MCB's has packed up. The last one was replaced with a Merlin Gerin (now Schneider Electronic) unit which my carpenter assured is 'el bueno'. Anyway, to be on the safe side I'll turn off the power in the hallway and not just the panel master switch which should prevent any hair raising incidents!! As the rest of the MCB's are nearly 30 years old probably best to buy a job lot of them and replace the rest...

Saludos

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:21 am

Replacing the MCB is simple but removing the old one isn't obvious.
Remove the wires first.
At the back of the bottom is a small clip. Insert a small flat-bladed screwdriver into the clip, press it down, pull the swing the MCB forward and then lift it off the top mounting.
Have a look at the new MCB and you can see how it clips onto the DIN rail.
Many people aren't aware of the clip that holds the MCB onto the DIN rail.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:45 am

Hi Screagle,
Along with Gerry's great description it's worth watching some YouTube videos ...............

I trust you have a Mains Tester / Mains tester screwdriver to be on the safe side.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:30 am

Enrique wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:45 am Hi Screagle,
Along with Gerry's great description it's worth watching some YouTube videos .....
I had a look for a suitable YouTube video but all the ones I looked at were American and use a different type of MCB.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:51 pm

https://youtu.be/CThzQNFQEbc

Domo electrica is always a good place to start. It's in spanish but he does loads of different things.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:47 am

A big Thank You for all posts. I'm going to have a crack at this myself noting Gerry's tips (I'll check out Doma electrica beforehand as well). As the MCB panel is in a flat I'm going to cut the power in the communal hallway cupboard providing it is clearly marked otherwise I'll be seeking advice of neighbours and scrounge a voltage tester. I would bring my amtech from UK but I'm pretty sure it would be taken off me at security as it is a screwdriver format. :problem:

Saludos

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:45 pm

Turn off the mains breaker in the consumer unit, and get a simple lamp, take the plug off, and touch the bare ends to the screws on the bottom of the mains breaker. You'll see if there's any significant voltage if the bulb lights.

*** be careful doing this, I only suggest it as it sounds like you have some knowledge of electrics. This is my idea, and nothing to do with the website / forum / other members. Obviously a tester (6 euro in obramart) would be safer / a better option ***

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:40 pm

Hi spanish_lad,
Liking your Disclaimer................... :)

ChatGPT...............version.

"It is important to consult with a licensed professional or expert in the relevant field before making any decisions based on the information or advice provided. Any reliance on the information or advice provided by me is at your own risk, and I disclaim any and all liability for any loss or damage arising from such reliance."
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:05 pm

Thanks, spanish_lad, I'll give that a go. Having given myself a bit of a shock on a lighting circuit neutral wire I will be proceeding with caution! :roll:

Just hoping now that when the time comes I won't find any horrors removing the consumer unit fascia panel to expose the MCBs and DIN rails. If all's fine and my replacement MCBs are compatible then I'll be following Gerry's advice...

Saludos

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:47 pm

Screagle wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:05 pm Thanks, spanish_lad, I'll give that a go. Having given myself a bit of a shock on a lighting circuit neutral wire I will be proceeding with caution! :roll:

Just hoping now that when the time comes I won't find any horrors removing the consumer unit fascia panel to expose the MCBs and DIN rails. If all's fine and my replacement MCBs are compatible then I'll be following Gerry's advice...

Saludos
The neutral *should* be the neutral.. but unfortunately in spain "if it works, we do it" used to be the norm. Remember any plug in spain can go into a socket either way around. The live and neutral can be either side.